Random Questions

Digital illustration is fine.

Iā€™ve never bought anything from her and Iā€™m not sure if inking is what youā€™re looking for. But if it is, thereā€™s this youtuber, well I guess sheā€™s an artist first and youtube is just another thing she does, that Iā€™ve been a fan of for a while called Sakuems. I think sheā€™s got a bit of a glam style, though a bit more modern than the 70s.

Sheā€™s got an etsy and according to her policies she does custom orders.

Check her out, if you dig her style (like I do, something about the women she draws, very alluring) maybe consider going with her.

1 Like

Yeah, etsy is a good choice. Lots of people offer commissions through there. I mean, look at all the different styles going on:

The other thing I would suggest is seeing if there is an artist you like at a convention or other event, then asking them to do a commission.

Why are people other than my wife wishing us a happy anniversary?

I feel like itā€™s an intimate thing between her and me and it makes me feel weird for others to be part of that. I recall mentioning this last year but I just ended up looking like a unappreciative jerk.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know people did that. MAYBE if you have kids you can roll your kids into the anniversary involvements.

When I imagine a coin rotating (like in a video game) I always imagine it turning vertically. But lots of places have coins printed so they must rotate horizontally to keep the design face up. If coins are like that near you do you imagine coins rotating in an up/down way rather than a left/right way?

I dont think its weird? Save for big anniversaries where some people like to have a party (10/25/50 years etc) I wouldnā€™t involve other people in a celebration, but well wishes from friends and family are always nice I think.

Is it possible to record data on a vinyl record? How much data could a vinyl record hold theoretically?

Yes, but it would be really really really shitty.

Nah, use error correction like CDs. I assume youā€™re storing binary anyway.

You just wouldnā€™t have much capacity.

The amount of error correction you would need might make the capacity so low as to be worthless. I guess in terms of trade-offs, you could make the motor really slow. If you hardly spin the record at all, you can potentially store a lot more data in the limited space of the disc, and even include error checking. Of course, speed would be slow as balls.

I donā€™t know that rotation speed of the disc matters to information density.

According to Reddit mathematicians, itā€™s maybe 300-400MB for both sides. A naive 3-bit repetition code would cut that down to ~100MB and change.

Still more than I would have guessed!

If you spin it slower you could have a higher density of bumps in the record and still be able to detect them with the needle. I guess if you use a laser to read the record, it doesnā€™t matter.

We used to put software on audio cassettes. There is no reason you couldnā€™t try to put that same audio track onto vinyl and play it back into a computer. Found this YouTube video, but I havenā€™t watched it yet.

In analog signal processing, the faster you spin the record/drive the tape, the more fidelity you have to work with. Thatā€™s why longer-play cassettes and VHS tapes had worse quality.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m saying. If you spin slowly you can get more density.

And more errors.

The moral is that analog media suck.

When to use analogue: sensory feedback

When to use digital: signal input

Redundant Array of Independent Vinyl (RAIV)

1 Like

Tweeted yesterday!

alright, so Iā€™m doing some deep fucking spring cleaning of my apartment and replacing my college things with lots of Ikea furniture. Long story short Iā€™ve got almost my entire volume in cardboard and the landlady is sending out complaints that the dumpster is being overfilled too often. What are some good projects that consume a shitload of cardboard?