Random Questions

How so, exactly?

They should not have to support old versions of their subscription software, and there is no good reason to use old versions of said software.

This isn’t someone paying up front for a license to CS4 a decade ago and not being allowed to still use it. (Although honestly, using CS4 is punishment enough). It’s specifically the Creative Cloud subscription software.

When I was the head of product for my last company, I definitely stopped supporting old versions of our subscription software. It’s just not worth the effort, and most of the people who complain are going to complain and be trouble regardless. I would never expect Adobe to let people keep using random old versions of software with any amount of support or help.

This issue isn’t even just that. It’s also due to that Dolby lawsuit. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Dolby.

What’s dickish about dropping support for random old versions of software?

Adobe software is 100x better since they went to a subscription model. Every update has added real features (which wasn’t the case under the old model), and it’s actually cheaper to stay up-to-date. The ecosystem is much cleaner with most people using the same version of the software at all times.

Collaboration is easier. The software is better supported. The software is getting more, substantial, better updates than it ever did.

That’s not the problem. The issue is taking your consumers to court just because they didn’t want to upgrade. That’s going a step too far, especially when Adobe raises their prices and expect you to keep up.

Can you imagine Microsoft suing its remaining userbase for still using Windows 7 or 8, or Apple suing its customers for sticking with older iPhones?

If the issue is with Dolby, then the solution is simple: Disable the Dolby components. If customers don’t want to upgrade, then they could probably lose a few features; it’s their loss. Heck, they might have the incentive to upgrade if they want their fancy stuff back. But don’t take them to court for it.

Who said Adobe was taking anyone to court?

Adobe just warned customers that Dolby might sue them, and invited to help them upgrade. They will also likely eventually remotely disable the old versions.

The people complaining won’t let the Creative Cloud software update Animate version 15. The current version is 19.something

2 Likes

They did, in the newer versions. They are supporting their users and protecting them by offering them frequent and significant software updates. It is the users who are refusing to update.

I stand corrected, my misunderstanding was that they were in fact referring to old standalone software and that Adobe was threatening to sue. Seeing the actual issue now I only think Adobe has made a PR misstep in that their letter is a bit unclear and sounds like a threat rather than a warning.

I think the letter is perfectly clear and very helpful.

Right to you and me (after reading it properly) but a lot of people just see a letter from Adobe that says “You may be sued” without specifying who might sue you, only referring to a “third party” and most people won’t understand what that means exactly, just that they got a letter from Adobe about possibly being sued.

Can anyone recommend a decent keyboard for a non apple tablet? Looking for something small and reliable for writing on the go that won’t break the bank.

Friend of mine uses the Arteck Universal bluetooth keyboard, it’s about 20 bucks, and works pretty well.

1 Like

Any bluetooth keyboard is going to work. Get a cheap/nice one.

Thats grand cheers.

No stress cuz, happy to help.

Anybody know of good places to recruit playtesters for board games/ttrpgs?

Who goes to jail?

" Boeing never disclosed the revamp of MCAS to Federal Aviation Administration officials involved in determining pilot training needs, according to three agency officials. When Boeing asked to remove the description of the system from the pilot’s manual, the F.A.A. agreed. As a result, most Max pilots did not know about the software until after the first crash, in October."

Was it The Name of the Wind that @SkeleRym described as Mr. Nice Guy’s Penis Adventure?

Sounds more like Wise Man’s Fear to me

Yes, certainly the second book is majority penis adventure material.

If I wanted to commission a portrait of myself as a 70s glam rock star, would any of you know who to ask?

What medium are we talking about? Photography? Oil on canvas? Digital illustration?