Random Questions

The one I looked at was Alternative Press, but if Bandcamp needs writers for Daily I could do that,

EDIT looks like Bandcamp Daily isn’t looking for writers.

I’m trying to find a game. It was a 2d online asteroids-style space shooter, but you would shoot apart other ships to get rainbow-colored parts. I am almost certain I first heard about it here, or maybe on the old forum. Captain Something maybe.

What was it called? Is it still online?

Edit: Found it! Captain Forever.

Is it worth my time reading the new veganism discussion?

Nothing new under the sun, really. So only if you enjoy that topic.

It was mildly amusing, knowing I could skip quite a lot of the longer posts.

If your predecessor precedes you, shouldn’t the word be precedessor instead? That or predeces you.

Either way, English is weird.

Blame Latin. prae ‘beforehand’ + decessor ‘retiring officer’ (from decedere ‘depart’) (New Oxford American Dictionary).

1 Like

My wife runs a support group on Facebook for Motor Neurone Disease (aka ALS) sufferers and family members.

The biggest problems she faces are alternative medicine scammers and racist people accusing people with non-western names of being alternative medicine scammers in waiting. Lastly there was a conflict between carers and sufferers which she solved through strong administration and diplomacy.

A while back the way Facebook displays the posts changed so it’s no longer in order of posting which makes it difficult to administrate. Is there a way to have the main posts appear strictly in order of post times and dates?

The only way is to use something that isn’t Facebook.

Gotta reach the people.

You make a blog or something, and you just post links to the new posts on your facebook page. GeekNight has a Facebook page that I assume reaches more than 0 people. Every new post on our site is automatically posted on Facebook, and Twitter, and this forum, etc.

Non-internetty people discover they or a relative are going to die of MND and they search facebook for a support group. If they didn’t find my wife’s group they’d find woo woo scammers. It’s not about telling people what to do it’s about listening to what they need. And often it needs moderating, whether it’s someone lashing out about finding out they have months left, or someone trying to milk cash from this audience who would do anything for a glimmer of hope.

It’s only recently that we discovered we’ve not been seeing all the posts by scrolling down until we’ve seen ones we’ve seen before. If the answer is to complain to facebook then that’s the answer, not “abandon ship”.

They will still find your Facebook page, but it will never be chronological. Facebook hasn’t been chronological in a long time. Also, people following your page will never see all your pages posts on Facebook. The only way to ensure followers see your post is to pay money to boost it. Otherwise, only a small percentage will have it show up in their feeds.

Facebook has been like this for years. It will never change. You can complain, but you’ll just be shouting into the abyss along with everyone else.

We aren’t posting. The community members are.

If it’s a Facebook group, as opposed to a Facebook page, the only options you have for sorting are “recent posts” and “new activity”. Recent post only sorts via the date of the actual posting. New activity sorts by the date of the most recent comment on the post (or the date of the post itself if it has no comments).

There is still no way to know it isn’t hiding any posts from you.

Why do so many professional developers have some insane fear of debuggers?! I’m dealing with a coworkers who is thinking of setting up wireshark or some kind of reverse proxy to avoid setting a single debugger statement.

W H Y

Nobody taught them how to use them. I got a CS degree. Never once were we taught to use a debugger. I know how to use things like gdb because I read the instructions and tried it out, as I learned most things.

Also, every debugger I’ve ever used other than the Visual Studio and XCode ones are extremely non-user friendly. Even for developers they are a pain to use.

1 Like

They are not more of a pain than wireshark or reverse proxies. I got an IT degree, no debugger training either. Boggles my mind.

They are more of a pain if you already know how to use wireshark and reverse proxies. Most people would rather do more work using something they know if it means they can avoid learning. The only reason nodejs exists is because people who already know JavaScript from doing frontend work would rather create all of nodejs and npm than have to learn a different programming langauge for coding on the server side.

Within a group, you can click “New activity” to “recent posts.” No way to do it within the Newsfeed tho.

1 Like