Random Questions

Unless the podcast contains music my normal rate of listening to podcasts is 2.6x speed.

1 Like

I ask Siri to ā€œrewind 30 secondsā€ and ā€œfast forward one minuteā€ all the time.

Good to know, but Iā€™ve had Siri flake out enough on me, especially when in ā€œDo not disturb while drivingā€ mode, that I donā€™t trust it to be reliable.

if me and my wife ever need to take a long ride for travel and internet connection isnā€™t guaranteed we download like 10 hours of podcasts so we have variety to choose from

Look man Iā€™m pushing Vic as hard as I can, but stuff is really getting in the way the last little while.

Also, am I the only person who listens to podcasts while I work and do other stuff? Sure, short commute, whatever, but donā€™t yā€™all clean, or do laundry, or have other tasks and errands to do? Or even just go on a walk sometimes?

2 Likes

I have 10 podcasts in my app right now but only 5 of them produce at a regular cadence. Thatā€™s just enough to not get overwhelmed and only listen while commuting or doing mental tasks. Iā€™ve been trying to do more audiobooks during commute though because I built up too much of a backlog on Audible.

I actively avoid audiobooks as I prefer reading over listening but do have a ton of subscribed podcasts, though only about 4 which I keep up with or regularly update, like most here. When Iā€™m in the odd mood I listen to certain podcasts outside my mains though, like Snap Judgement or Radiolab.

teach me your ways, it takes me hours to find something to spend my credits on

1 Like

I have both a stockpile of audiblecredits I have to spend, and a backlog of purchased audiobooks I have yet to listen to.

I havnā€™t actually used audible in a year. :expressionless:

I only actively track one podcast where I will listen to each episode as they come out, and its name is Hello Internet.

Used to put on audiobooks and podcasts at work, but I found them so engrossing that I tend to completely zone out for hours on end and get hardly anything done; or I just donā€™t actually process what Iā€™m hearing in the story.

My commutes are relatively short both by car and by shuttle bus, so a 10-30min YouTube video is far more digestible.

IMO, you have work to do. Spend those credits. Listen to more stuff. If you want fantasy fiction I highly recommend Malazan. I also enjoyed Pikettyā€™s capital in the 21st century. I think both of those were my top 2018 picks for things I could listen to while doing something else.

Found the Audible employee.

2 Likes

The stuff I get on Audible generally falls under three categories. First, classic books I just never read when I was younger, for example classic sci-fi like Heinlein and Asimov or really classic stuff like Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allen Poe. Second, I do most of my non-fiction through audiobook now because I find reading them on paper or Kindle utterly boring. Itā€™s always been that way for me, Iā€™ve never been excited by non-fiction but I want to learn more about historical stuff, so this helps bridge the gap. Third, once I start running out of those, I will actually just take suggestions from the yearly Audible awards to try new things that I normally wouldnā€™t think to listen to. Iā€™d say Iā€™ve enjoyed about half of the books Iā€™ve listened to that way.

Start a podcast where you review every book you read and your listeners will keep sending suggestions based on what they know of your tastes.

1 Like

My podcast count is 135.

Should I get a Wii so I can play all the Wii and GC titles I missed?

Why not? Games are still just as good as theyā€™ve always been, and most of them will be super cheap. Only problem is the Wii eShop is dead now, so you can only get games on disc.

Or, you know, CFW. Hackinga Wii is dead simple. As is, in fact, hackinga WiiU, which can also net you a hacked Wii AND a GameCube.

1 Like

Is it really? I was a sucker and got a WiiU aka buyers remorse. Maybe can salvage this?

1 Like

It takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes if you have the basic knowledge of how to use a computer.

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/ is the best resource on this.

Itā€™s 90% ā€œCopy this to the SD card, run this, look this up, if itā€™s this do this, if itā€™s that do this other thing, copy copy copy run copy run copy run haxord.ā€

1 Like

Podcast count if 23, It used to be closer to 35 but Iā€™ve cut down on a few, and others just ended due to issues.

I also listen at 2.5x, which helps me get through all the news/political podcasts I listen to.

Audiobooks too, Iā€™ve been getting through quite the number of them since my commute went from 10 minutes to an hour.