Random Comments

I’ll buy you your first pack.

1 Like

Eat bacon while skiing to cancel out the danger.

2 Likes

The oldest lady ever smoked for like 100 years.

I recall reading several articles positing lifestyle and/or genetic factors that predispose a person to cancer when coupled with smoking.

It’s possible that someone who smokes but does not have these factors, or has these factors but does not smoke, is far less likely to suffer deadly effects.

Of course, smoking still objectively ruins your cardiovascular capabilities regardless.

1 Like

My dad was like this, at least when it came to lung cancer. When he passed at 60, the doctors said his lungs were in very clean shape despite smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for at least 40 or so years.

What got my dad was stomach cancer, which was probably not related to smoking, especially since his mother, who never smoked a day in her life, also had it. Hence, there was probably a genetic and/or diet (apparently smoked meats contributes to increasing your risk of stomach cancer) factor at play there.

I just think it’s an amazing data point. Being a smoker for longer than 95% of people live.

If bacon is the thing that kills me, then I win at life.

5 Likes

In One Punch Man you become a Bacon Monster with that attitude.

Good for you.

Much like Kelp lady you’ll probably end up as dinner.

If it is true that this resistance to tobacco is a genetic thing, that has crazy implications. It means there is some gene that results in people having lungs capable of cleaning themselves of an insane amount of filth relative to the self cleaning capabilities of the average lung. If that is the case, we should really be investing a lot of money into finding exactly what genetic variation that is, and exactly how it changes the lung to be different.

Another explanation that I have thought in the past is simply that some people smoke “wrong”. They don’t inhale the smoke into their lungs and let it linger. Maybe they just puff puff the smoke in their mouth like a pipe. You might get mouth cancer that way, but much less likely to get lung cancer.

1 Like

I used to have - or, I suppose, still do, but I don’t smoke very much at all these days - a party trick where I’d Inhale from a smoke through my ear, and exhale in the normal way. But anyway, I was showing this off in the smoking area of a pub one night out, some drunk dude just ambling down the street sees this, and just slurringly shouts at the top of his lungs “HOLY FUCK THAT GUY SMOKES WRONG” in the most offended tone you can imagine.

Absofuckingloutely. I remember an old ad down here that stuck in my head - apparently not enough, considering I continued smoking for like nearly a decade after that - which went something like “If the cancer doesn’t get you, the Emphysema will.” Everyone’s heard some creaky old smoker with the rattly cough, who gets out of breath at a brisk walk or some short stairs. But having a genetic resistance to it? That’s fucking crazy, that’s basically an at least partial immunity to a broad swathe of respiratory injury, not just smoking.

2 Likes

I just finished watching an episode of “Pointless,” a British quiz show which is basically the opposite of Family Feud. They ask 100 Brits a question and you want to guess the least common answer.

They asked for NFL teams and the most common answer was the Jacksonville Jaguars. Why would British people know who they are? They always lose!

The NFL International Series games that take place in London:

“The Jacksonville Jaguars took the Rams’ place and agreed to play a home game in London for four seasons from 2013 through 2016. With this announcement also came news that the NFL were working to schedule a second UK game from 2013 onwards.[20] (The Jaguars later extended their agreement with Wembley Stadium through 2020 in an agreement announced in October 2015.)[2] In October 2012, it was announced that the Jaguars would host the San Francisco 49ers and the Minnesota Vikings would host the Pittsburgh Steelers, marking the first season with multiple games in London.”

The Jaguars are the London “home” team.

3 Likes

The Seahawks were there while we were in London. We saw Seahawks jerseys everywhere. Dozens and dozens all over London. There were also a ton of them on our flight from JFK.

Even funnier, none of the ones I interacted with were from the US. Manchester, various parts of Germany, etc… But not the US.

1 Like

That mostly makes sense, but one of the “pointless” answers was the Steelers, who, having played there (assuming the Vikings were the host for that game), should have been known by more than 0 people.

I guess that’s not surprising, given that the Jaguars are owned by Shahid Khan, who also owns the EPL team Fulham F.C.

Blake Bortles!

2 Likes

My dad has a theory that if Gridiron Football were ever going to take off in Europe, the spark would start somewhere in Germany.

Supposedly it was pretty popular in towns located near US military bases in Germany.

I also had a cousin who worked as a bartender in the officers’ club at a US air base in Portugal and he became a gridiron football fan by osmosis from hanging out with all those American airmen.

There was a decent amount of the NFL Europe league in Germany, likely for the reasons you and @Neito mentioned.

1 Like

I remember that being a thing in Berlin when I first moved here.