Random Comments

Now here’s an interesting development, but not a nice one - Techdirt is being sued by Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai, who falsely claims to have invented email.

But here’s a fun little collection of facts that may or may not be relevant:

• He also sued Gawker over the same claims, during the period that Thiel was funding any and all lawsuits against gawker
  • Theil has a stated dislike of Techcrunch, which is rumored to only have intensified after their recent reporting on him, and on some of trump’s policies
  • Ayyadurai is being represented by Charles Harder. Which is weird, because with his known net worth, he’s far from poor, but he’s not cashed up enough to afford Harder’s rates for the amount of time typically needed for this type of suit.
  • You may remember Harder as being the chap who represented Hogan in the Gawker case, bankrolled by Thiel, and who is also currently representing Melania Trump in her case against the Daily Mail, and previously represented Ayyadurai in his prior case against Gawker (Which, again, he couldn’t afford, and was almost certainly bankrolled by Thiel)
  • To the best of my knowledge, Thiel has refused to comment.

I mean, it all looks a little strange, but it must be a coincidence. After all, we were assured that it only happened to Gawker, because it’s Gawker, and nobody else had anything to worry about.

1 Like

That’s a patent troll case, though. Call the Newegg guy.

[quote=“Apreche, post:23, topic:281, full:true”]
That’s a patent troll case, though. Call the Newegg guy.
[/quote]Yeah, no, it’s a Libel case. He’s not suing them for infringing on bullshit patents, he’s suing them for reporting his bullshit patents are bullshit. At least read the article before you try and push back when I’m rubbing it in, it’s just good form. I’m trying to put in more effort here than a simple “Told ya so”, meet me in the middle, man.

1 Like

Because I amassed a lot of overtime in February I took today off to test for the Regional PTQ Magic tournament I will attend on saturday. After playing 8 hours today I wanted to decompress and put on some wrestling (Honor Rising: Japan 2017: Night 1, a joint event between Ring of Honor and NJPW). First time I see Korakuen Hall on camera. That venue is surprisingly small and only seats 2,005 people. Hajime no Ippo makes it seem much larger.

Bought a high gain wifi antenna for when my apartments nearby access point craps out so I can pick up one of the other building’s, and just generally pick up more connections. One of the new ssid’s I picked up was “The Wired.” Somebody knows whats up.

1 Like

Went to the Adventures in Moominland experience in the Southbank Centre (audio guide by Sandi Toksvig). There’s more to Moomins than I realised.

Very delightful experience. I recommend a ‘look-see’ if you’re in the area.

The simple act of listening to a vinyl record damages it. You hurt it more and more with each listen, until eventually the crackling becomes louder than the music. If the listener truly loves the record, they have two paths they may take. Either the listener will listen to the record as many times as they can and destroy the record with their affection, or they will only scarcely listen to the record to preserve its life, but will never enjoy it like the listener who destroys the record does. Some would call this an obsolete problem with an archaic technology. I call it the human condition.

1 Like

Or get a laser turntable. Technology for the win!

I guess you could buy 100 of each record you like. That effectively solves both your problems at the expense of a few new problems.

2 Likes

I should’ve known better than to post that here.

In all honesty Greg, I like what you’ve said. It’s an interesting musing on the nature of music and humanity.

That said you should have known better than to post that here.

Nah, man. I’m right there with ya. My solution is that I buy the digital version as well as the record if I can help it. Digital for day to day listening, vinyl for when I feel like it. That said, I have some vinyls that are the only copies of those songs and I still listen to them pretty regularly. Properly tuning your turntable sot eh arm puts as little pressure on the record as possible is definitely less worrying.

Make a new thread just for this request. It’ll be easier to keep track of and not clutter this thread. If you do, I’ll send some recommendations your way.

1 Like

You have “Crew Member” next to your name on a forum with the address frontrowcrew.com. A thread of your own is what this forum is for.

Make it more general and not just about you?

Also is there really a shortage of media recommendations? There are always plenty of absurdly long series you can go for. For example, there are are like 40+ Discworld novels. Just go all in.

Also, if you just get a Switch and play Zelda that will take an absurd amount of time all by itself. I don’t think you’ve played older Zeldas either, so you can also go for Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Make a new thread with these rules, and see how it goes. Don’t make it generic. Make it just for you. I have things that I would recommend to just you but not to other people on the forum, same as I’d have recommendations just for Scott or just for Rym but not both.

1 Like

Go for it! It’s a cool experiment, and I think a lot of people here would be interested in how it goes down.

2 Likes

In the podcast thread, I asked for not generic lists of what people like and listen to, but a single podcast they think someone should try. I would never look at anything from a massive list, but I checked out someone’s specific single suggestion and now have a new favourite podcast, and I’m slowly making my way through the dozens of hours of previous podcasts in the feed.

2 Likes

Holy shit, that’s a lot of reading.

Oh, you cheated. Less holy shit.

1 Like