Podcasts You Listen To

I did not know that podcast existed and am now adding it to my list. Sounds like something my daughter may enjoy too.

It’s so good, and scary as fuck. Its a heady mix of amazing production and presentation and the fact that the people telling their stories are all telling at least what they believe is the truth. It probably helps for me that despite being a huge skeptic, “I want to believe” is one if the most powerful phrases I have ever heard.

1 Like

One of my favorite authors, Michael Lewis, did am 8-part podcast about fairness and referees in society. I just finished the final episode, and it was fantastic!

“Journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis (Liar’s Poker, Moneyball) takes a searing look at what’s happened to fairness—in financial markets, newsrooms, basketball games, courts of law, and much more. And he asks what’s happening to a world where everyone loves to hate the referee.”

Sorry, let me pare this down, I listen to a lot of podcasts and these are podcasts I keep going back to and hoping to find in my updates.

Audioplays:
Among the Stars and Bones: Archaeologists unravel the mysteries of a dead alien civilization.

Girl in Space: Quirky lady lives alone on a spaceship until Weyland-Yutani shows up. Season 1 complete.

Rex Rivetter: Private Eye: Good detective drama, lots of voice actors, over-arching story, several excellent story arcs.

History

Hardcore History: Dan Carlin presents history in a compelling way for laymen.

Revolutions: Mike Duncan presents history with more intellectual rigor than Dan Carlin

The Age of Napoleon: Napoleon presents history as he intended to write it. Podcaster undoes the damage.

I swear I listen to podcasters that aren’t white men

Write Now: A podcast about Writing by the showrunner of Girl in Space.

My Favorite Murder: Because everyone listens to this podcast.

Opera for Everyone: Midwest NPR program discusses a different Opera every episode, giving a synopsis, and playing several highlights from that Opera

Nerds talking:

Last Podcast on the Left: Stand-up comics discuss true crime and the occult.

Mad Scientist Podcast: An actual scientist and co-host discuss the occult.

Geek Nights: Software engineers discuss fruit.

2 Likes

Funny way to spell bikes.

1 Like

Citations Needed (not Citation Needed) is possibly the best lefty podcast at the moment.

Citations Needed is a podcast about the intersection of media, PR, and power, hosted by Nima Shirazi and Adam Johnson.

4 Likes

Their recent episode about the intellectual bankruptcy of Nate Silver and horse race punditry more generally was really good

2 Likes

Passenger List - Lauren Shippen, creator of The Bright Sessions (an amazing podcast I linked a year or two ago) has a new podcast. A plane goes missing without a trace under mysterious circumstances–the “official” statement was it was hit by a flock of geese, but it’s naturally too suspicious. The sister of one of the passengers goes on an investigation with family members of the other passengers to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Pardon the Interruption is 18 years old. That sounds so long, but also the show feels like it’s been around forever. Only 18?

These are the podcasts I listen to regularly.
(Italics means I never skip any episodes.)

Recent Events
Today Explained
WTF Just Happened Today

Green Brothers
Anthropocene Reviewed
Dear Hank and John

NPR
Code Switch
Invisibilia
Hidden Brain
Shortwave

Misc
Darknet Diaries
Levar Burton Reads
99 % Invisible
Song Exploder

I recently discovered this one. It’s like Reading Rainbow never stopped!

1 Like

Lately most of the new subscriptions are history podcasts:

• History of the Great War
  • History of Rome (already over, but the host moved onto…)
  • Revolutions (this has been getting better/crazier with every series, but you could make the argument that the French Revolution is the peak)
  • Tides of History

For pop culture:

• Talking Simpsons
  • What a Cartoon
  • Podcast: the Ride
  • Retronauts

Citations Needed is good but I have to be mentally prepared for a current-events podcast that is likely to leave me irritated, so I have been skipping it half the time.

I suppose the real winners (the ones that have survived as currently-active podcasts I always listen to from my initial list in 2017) are Retronauts and Talking Simpsons. Actually, I think I subscribed to Retronauts sometime back in 2006-2007 and never stopped listening.

1 Like

YES. THOSE ARE GREAT!!!

1 Like

I await the day DHAJ turns into DJAH.

Well not really, the alternative would be awesome. But it’s not going to happen. Plus both sound like Klingon words. D’JAH!

So I just found out that The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air) is coming back for a second season after…jesus, it’s been three years in production?

If you haven’t yet, go listen to season 1 now. Season 2 starts November 6.

Also, podcast network The Whisperforge is crowdfunding a new podcast called Brimstone Valley Mall. Check out the IndieGogo campaign.

1 Like

Remarkable Providences is a historical podcast about the Salem Witch Trials, hosted by a Salem tour guide.

Following a successful IndieGogo, Brimstone Valley Mall has now premiered.

It’s about demons from Hell who come to Earth to work in a mall (back when malls were still relevant–the year of 1999) to try to accomplish their dreams. Two episodes are up now.

Does anyone listen to The Adventure Zone? It’s a podcast based on D&D campaigns that has been running for years.

Well, it’s getting a TV series coming soon to NBCUniversal’s upcoming streaming service, Peacock.

2 Likes

Oh shit, I’ve been a fan of theirs forever! I fell a few episodes behind on TAZ and missed the announcement.

I have just started listening to The Adventure Zone at the behest of my friends. They just started a new campaign, so that’s where I started.