Podcasts You Listen To

Lolita Podcast was probably my favorite new podcast of 2020. I usually listen to this show while walking home from work and pretty much every episode has absolutely stunning moments where I found myself spontaneously exclaiming out loud, “Jesus fucking Christ!” during my walks. Moments that made have to stop walking because I was too physically angry to continue. Hard shit to listen to at some points, but very good content in that this is a subject from which we should not look away; the very real harm resulting from how our culture treats young girls.

The history of this book, and subsequent media, is just astounding. Discussion of the extent to which our society is willing to openly sexualize the bodies of pubescent and pre-pubescent girls is simultaneously disheartening and acutely harrowing. Very thought provoking.

1 Like

This sounds like a fun tool to play with.

So I have a story about Nabakov historiography that’s fun as shit. I had to do my 12th grade research paper on a “world literature” author, which apparently meant non-Anglosphere. I told my teacher I wanted to write it on Nabakov. She is taken aback and spends a while talking about the difference between glamorization and depiction, dancing around the subject. I’m confused, and eventually say “Oh I didn’t realize he was the Lolita author. I don’t want to read that. I thought that literary criticism about Pale Fire would be fantastically meta.”

2 Likes

Ha! I can just imagine the teacher having a mini panic attack.

1 Like

Seems like Reply All is on the rocks:

Cross-posting here and the Neftlix thread. On the latest episode of Slate’s Working, they interviewed Noelle Stevenson on creating a diverse kids show. This is a great interview talking about her original comic Nimona, and also all about She-Ra.

If you’re a fan of the show, just want to listen to a good interview, or are interested in Noelle Stevenson’s process, give this a listen:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay, I didn’t talk about it a lot since a) a lot of other people here seem to be already familar with it; and b) the podcast is a bit radical and macabre, but Well There’s Your Problem is “an engineering podcast with slides”, hence why it is actually more of a YouTube show. Really though it talks about systemic failures from a left-wing perspective, so besides mundane disasters such as accidentally flooding a mine by drilling into it through a lake, and more extreme disasters like Grenfell Tower or the Bhopal cyanide gas emission, they also talk about political corruption, with the most recent episode being about Andrew Cuomo.

I can’t say it is an entirely “healthy” podcast, but it is basically gallows humor for the end times we live in.

The show features Just Roczniak who a couple years ago got some attention for his series “Franklin” where he uses City Skylines to talk about urban planning from a left-wing perspective, and Alice Caldwell-Kelly from Trash Future, another good gallows humor podcast about the current political, societal, technological and economical climate. Third host is Justin’s former roommate Liam Anderson, who is basically the collective Id of modern society.

2 Likes

I always enjoy the Philly angle of the Pod that Justin and Roz bring.

I do like this podcast, they’re pretty good about the mechanical/structural engineering stuff(the only stuff I’m somewhat qualified to comment on). A friend of mine who’s an industrial chemist is a bit sensitive about Bohpal and wasn’t entirely thrilled with their coverage of it. But most of that has to do with misunderstandings about industrial chemistry.

I can see that. Justin Roczniak’s main thing is civil engineering with some mechanical engineering thrown in. Liam’s pretty big in just general math, and Alice is pretty big on military stuff and the middle east.

If it’s not in one of those domains I’m gonna be pretty sympathetic of not knowing the full deal or any of the inside baseball.

Like if they were covering the Equifax breach, I’d be pretty sympathetic if they got wrong the exact function of apache struts

I don’t watch a lot of the WTYP podcast Show, because in some ways it can be a bit much to follow for passive enjoyment, I tend to favor more the 2-person format with occasional guest. And most of the problems don’t really strike a chord with me enough to sit thru a few hours discussion of.

But when I do tune in, oh what a riot. Having worked for one of the US submarine builders, I couldn’t pass up the episode on the Kursk submarine. Having Russian speakers on made it so good. And I’ll never think of an Obrez cut-down rifle in quite the same way as a result. So there is that. They bring loads of bonus context and content to the table.

As for the technical accuracy of how the submarine stuff was covered I mean, it wasn’t without some nitpick but, it wasn’t bad to my ear.

It took me seven months but I am now mostly caught up with Spiritual Successor. It’s been my “listened to all my regular podcasts, so I’ll dip into the backlog” podcast, mostly during bike rides. Thanks for the recommendation.

So this week’s Secretly Incredibly Fascinating podcast episode is on time zones, for you time nerds out there. Alex Schmidt (the host) was the latest Cracked podcast host before they cancelled it, and this new one is pretty great. It’s pretty new, and episodes tend to be around an hour or so, so it’s a quick one to catch up on! Highly recommend.

1 Like

Passenger List is back for its second season!

I listen to sooo many podcasts regularly. Really noticing a big shift in the ads that are embedded recently. Much less or zero ads for postage services, email marketing services, memory foam mattress companies, web hosting companies, etc… Now it is Facebook and Amazon each trying to say “everything is great over here! get the whole story by going to our website”. Creepy, and I worry it will be effective for some non-trivial portion of the audience.

I’ve just gotten into Maintenance Phase. It’s a podcast that debunks junk diets and health fads.

This is a podcast about making RPGS, this month’s theme is how to make a podcast.

1 Like

Another podcast that has been running about as long as Geeknights, Manager Tools/Career Tools podcast had their 16th anniversary episode where they talk about coming up with the idea for the podcast and the work in making a professional sounding podcast.

The latest episode of Twenty Thousand Hertz is an interesting one: The sound design of The Sims.

Now you know where Simlish comes from and how it works.