Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Oh, I forgot to mention here - I got a chance to meet and briefly chat to the titular PlayerUnknown/Brendan Greene when we snuck him in for a surprise appearance at a panel last PAXAUS.

(I look a bit haggard in that photo, mostly because I was a lot haggard)

1 Like

I kinda wish that Planetside 2 had been the better pubg. Or rather maybe I just wish Planetside hadn’t made so many awful decisions in how to monetize it.

1 Like

I loved Planetside 2 for sooooooo long…

The current special event mode is eight man squads. You can also find flare guns that can airdrop either a big crate with lots of stuff or an armored truck. If anyone is free the next few evenings we should queue up.

I played a few rounds of the event mode and hooo boy is that a good time. Even hanging out with mostly Chinese players who I can’t understand some fun shit happened. Our squad occupied one of the small compounds and one of the other guys found a flare gun. They were arguing for a bit, I assume on whether or not to use the flare, until they guy finally shot off the flare. We were waiting for the drop, and just as the crate was about to land we were sandwiched between two other squads coming down from the hills on either side. Meanwhile, an artillery barrage started directly on our position. We were slaughtered but it was an amazing scene in this three way fight in the middle of an artillery barrage. My only gripe is as chill as the Chinese guys are, I wish they would put the ping filter or make regional servers on the event mode like the main game because its really hard to coordinate an eight man squad when you can’t speak other people’s languages.

There was a discussion about rangefinding in the PUBG Show thread, but I figured it would be better moved here. I was discussing how the 2x, 4x, and 6x scopes have rangefinding built into them but I wasn’t sure about the 8x. I just watched WackyJacky’s latest video and apparently there is a decal on the wall in one building in Erangel that explains how rangefinding works on the 8x. WackyJacky is really cool, he’s a streamer and excellent PUBG player who does informational and demonstration videos and seems like an all around cool guy. Check out his other videos for some good info.

https://youtu.be/ZNbv6xhTiQI?t=105

The current event mode is hilarious.

Let’s play.

Who’s on?

I was playing the new event mode, when a guy was running toward me and I was trying to run him over. He started lagging badly but I hit him, but the second I hit him there was a ton of choppy frames, my camera glitched out and I was looking up through the ground at the sillhouette of my car. I hit F to jump out and I was on the surface again just as another player ran me over. When I exited the match I had a 24 hour ban. Whatever happened BattleEye thought I was cheating I guess.

Anyone played the new map yet?

1 Like

I played it when it was on the test server, its super fun and looks amazing.

1 Like

Oh snap I’ll have to hit this up over the holiday.

There’s snowmobiles, a new gun, and they added an intro cinematic done with in game assets and it looks like it’s hinting at some new things to come, like a grenade launcher and the ability to add two different sights to your gun. They also revamped the parachute system, its much more intuitive and feels a bit faster.

The physics in general feel smoother.

PUBG is still my main game, even after a break for Subnautica. Did pretty well today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btldxohgpn4/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1mfp4t9cbz4fz

This is my first solo chicken dinner in about a year. My first took 166 attempts. This one took six. I guess I’m better at it now.

Two chicken dinners today, and in only five games.

2 Likes

The PUBG community suffers some very basic chat etiquette.

The game can be over in minutes, but some people like to try to have full on conversations. You only have small and critical spaces of time to convey very specific amounts of information, or more importantly having ‘radio silence’ to be able to listen out for enemy positions.

“Where are you from?” “Where are you from?” “Where are you from?” “Where are you from?” “Where are you from?” “Where are you from?”

facepalm

1 Like

Friendship ended with PUBG. Apex Legends is my best friend now. Seriously I have waaaayyy more fun playing Apex. The gameplay is silky smooth even on my relatively potato PC, it looks better, controls better I can turn off voice chat and not have to listen to 12 year olds getting yelled at by their parents, while still communicating with the ridiculously easy to use ping system. Seriously that thing is genius. It has some bullet physics but they’re not super hard to figure out so I like that. Like this game fucking nailed it. I’m never going back to PUBG.

3 Likes

Even better, you can turn on the speech to text and enjoy the delightful gibberish it creates for you.

But yeah, I have been enjoying APEX - the key difference to me is that I don’t like playing PUBG as much without a squad, but I can happily play APEX with randos. Even if they’re complete and utter idiots, no stress - plus, if you’re playing with a squad, there’s a good chance they can pull you back into the game if you get rolled, which is nice, and even randos tend to do it. Even if only to get another layer of ablative meat between them and the hurty stuff.

1 Like