Photos

Harvest moon 2017 by Dazzle, on Flickr

If you’re in London, you may have also seen the ISS fly overhead.

1 Like

Cool photo doppelganger article:

1 Like

Smugmug bought Flickr. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

I haven’t really used Flickr in years. I feel like it is so unstable I am not trusting them with my pictures any more.

I’ve never even heard of Smugmug.

Anyway, I’ve never been a fan of Flickr. I’ve been using Imgur for years, and I really see no reason to change that now (unless Imgur does something to fuck over its service in the future).

Smugmug is a big deal. Lots of photographers host their stuff there. It’s legit. THere are a lot worse places that Flickr could end up.

https://youtu.be/hHINDOtFH1A

Some rando article used a random photo I took in the old office of my old company from Flickr.

630x355

“Hazards” of the job. Fun thread.

2 Likes

Imagine you create a new public Instagram account. You tell nobody about it. The account follows nobody. You never @ anyone from it. You don’t follow it from your normal account. You never use a # from this account. Everything on the account is entirely public, but will anyone ever see it? If so, how long will it take for someone to find it?

Yesterday I found out the answer to this question is absolutely yes, and it took almost 9 months. My guess as to what happened is this. I was frequently viewing the hidden account while logged in as my normal account. Because of this, Instagram gave a suggestion to some of my friends that they should follow the “hidden” account.

What is this account of anyway? Basically I just try to capture an image every single day. Sometimes I’m in a groove and actually make a post every day. Other times I get the images every day, but upload the backlog in bulk later on. This happens the most when taking analog photos.

The quality of the images ranges from worthless crap to the absolute best. There were some days I didn’t leave my apartment and I had to dig deep. Once I posted a video game screenshot. I have no shame. I artistically captured an image.

So far there has only been one day where I didn’t have anything to upload at all. I do think I actually took photos that day, but I just forgot what it was when I got around to uploading. I believe his would normally qualify as non shit-talk, but I never talked.

Anyway, the account is https://www.instagram.com/apreche.daily/

Here is the best photo I’ve posted on that account so far (IMO). It was just a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmvmUMTFhZ4/

1 Like

I have not been out taking photographs in quite a while but I am hoping to get a few on a business trip to San Diego next week. I would love to get some feedback on my existing work!

https://slowsnap.photo

I didn’t take this.

Context: the guy dunking is Giannis Antetokounmpo, defending MVP. #2 in the back looking shocked is Kawhi Leonard, who bounced Giannis and the Bucks in the playoffs last year with a different team.

Everyone’s reactions are great. I think it’s the best basketball photo since Lebron/Wade.

For some reason I’d never seen this photo before and it instantly blew me away

3 Likes

It’s an ultra-famous photo, and actually there’s a really good story as to how it was taken. Not easy in the days of film.

Neil had to show up in advance to not only hang the camera facing down, but also the flashes. Then he has to fire off a roll of film and develop it before the fight to test to make sure the focus is correct. Manual focus! Also to check the exposure, but since he’s using flashes he can calculate that all in advance.

Then during the fight, he can’t see what the camera sees. It’s just hanging aiming downwards. All he can do is press a button to take a photo and fire the flashes. He has to imagine what a top-down view of the ring looks like based on his ringside view. He also has to remember to actually use the remote camera while he’s also taking photos with a camera in his hands.

Even if he did have an auto-winder of some kind so he could fire off the entire roll, it looks to me like it’s a 6x6 medium format. With 120 film that’s 12 shots. Even if he somehow had 220 film, that’s just 24 shots for the whole fight. No way he can climb up there during the fight to change the film. Yet, he still managed to capture that image by preparing a lot in advance and pressing the button at the critical moment.

Also, Neil was extremely specialized in boxing photography, so he had a lot of practice doing this and probably screwing it up at a lot of earlier fights that enabled him to have success there.

4 Likes

Not the greatest shots but wanted to put them somewhere.

2 Likes

Shame about the house. Is the crater cooled off enough for you to get an After pic?

I imagine the After pic would look like this:

1 Like

It’s actually at my local post office as our cul-de-sac’s mailbox was hit again. I have been trying to convince my wife to let me bring her home.

Pattern blue identified

5 Likes