PAX East 2019

I haven’t gotten a chance to try out the new Oculus stuff yet (ironically, I’ve been busy running Rift demos in VR Village), but I’m VERY interested in the inside-out tracking of the Oculus S.

The PAX Pox has hit me hard. I nave no voice, a dry cough, and enough post-nasal drip to make me wake up gagging. I hope the rest of you escaped unscathed.

1 Like

Yeeeah, I tried really hard not to. I even brought a gallon jug of hand sanitizer to the tabletop area, but I’m feeling it. I’m in that sickness twilight zone when you’re too afraid to sleep because you know that either you are going to wake up fine or barely be able to function as a human.

This was the best PAX east since the 1st one in the BCEC. Made some good connections, played a ton of board games, and overall had a recharge in my creative side. Need to do this again.

1 Like

I’ve never felt better post-PAX. that said, I slept from 8p sun to 11a monday, did Swag line, slept during the uber home, then slept again from about 3 to about 8, so I’m pretty sure I got back anything I lost over the weekend.

Despite Enforcing and panel, I played a lot of games. And for a change, I played them with a lot of different people! Good PAX.

1 Like

I don’t know if TT was louder this East, but running at Games on Demand wrecked my voice a lot more than it usually does.

My throat hurt just from Enforcing. It was definitely loud and dry.

Dryest PAX East in recent history.

Sunday was the worst. I think the HVAC dehumidification was ramped up due to the moist outdoor air.

I also think that the HVAC settings were configured for the max crowd, so it got cold and dry when the population decreased.

Right? Sunday I was freezing in tabletop. But if I walked over to Main Theatre side, it was too warm for a hoodie.

The building can’t handle a situation where most of the humans are on one side of it.

1 Like

PAX games - my only regret is that I doubled up on Combat Commander and Pax Pamir, but only got a single Quartermaster General.

1 Like

I say this every year, but I really do forget just how god-damn HUGE the BCEC is. I think cus it’s in a city the way it is.

1 Like

First time at PAX East this year and it was my favorite one in recent memory. Working in tabletop was much better than working in sat theater and I probably played more new games this PAX than any other one prior. Only thing I will probably change going forward is doing the morning TT shift instead of evening. I know it’s one more day to work but I prefer getting the work out of the way and not having to worry about when I need to stop and eat in order to not be late for work. The actual amount of PAX you miss is almost the same.

1 Like

You work the same amount of “while PAX is open” hours, so as long as you don’t need the extra sleep, morning shift is a great deal. It also encourages you to get in before the exhibitor security lines get their own traffic.

I played 16 games which is more than I played at the past several PAXes combined. South I had my family in town, Unplugged (lol), and East it was my first time running the TT area there so I wasn’t doing a ton of gaming. I rag on East a lot, but as someone who doesn’t plan on making it to West again, I will cherish it for the 4-day PAX it is. Of my list of things to do and people to hang out with, I checked off at least 95% of it. Never done that before.

1 Like

Yeah, moving to the night shift absolutely bodied me.Granted tabletop was a lot more interesting than dealing with the bands. Ironically this has been the PAX with the least amount of board gaming on my end at One game, every time I went to play something I was either distracted or taken aside by circumstance. Got a nice list of games to seek out now though.

I really enjoy Main Theatre.

During concerts, I hang out at the front of the room enjoying the show and keeping an eye on the crowd. Chill times. I like live music.

When I’m not doing that, I usually solo the entrance line. I get to hang out on the second floor right above the main BCEC entrance, and I’m the only Enforcer around. Every year, without fail, I meet a ton of interesting people due to how visible that spot is.

Similarly, I’m really enjoying VR. It’s chill, and I get to meet a lot of people who go “Woah…” and realize something was way more real than they ever thought it was.

2 Likes

After trying the VR at MAGFest, I went out a week later and bought the Playstation 4 VR and have been loving it ever since.

Conventions are a great way to introduce new people to VR.

It’s going to get even better once Quest is out. You can just pull it out of your bag and say “Hey, try this!!”

1 Like