Objectification of Women in Modern Media

Yeah, lots of weirdly realistic underage nudity, and the author/artist draws a bunch of pretty sketchy fanservice stuff as chapter/volume art. I looked it up, since your comment got me curious - the anime does tone it way down, and adds some stuff like a bit of Godiva hair to cover things up. I’m not going to say it’s all the worst I’ve ever seen - after all, there’s plenty of shit that’s far worse out there - but it’s definitely more than enough to make me want nowt to do with the whole thing.

2 Likes

Jesus, thanks for the heads up. It was near the top of my list of series to pick up.

Your spider senses weren’t tingling about that one?

No! The anime was a cute fantasy adventure with awesome creature designs and a cool mystery.

It has ‘Bunny Drop’ written all over it!!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Games You are Currently Playing

Well, now it does.

No worries man, I had the same thing, and getting skeeved out like that was not pleasant, happy to help you avoid the same fate. Or at least, with others, if they still want to check it out, at least are going in forewarned so that they don’t get blindsided with it.

I dunno, I’ve got pretty well-honed fuck-that-shit sense, and it still blindsided me 100%, since I’d not looked up anything about it other than hearing positive reviews about the anime.

1 Like

I know I might regret this but… ‘Bunny Drop’?

I’m not going to google it, but I’d love a one sentence TLDR.

Bunny drop, Made in Abyss = Fantasy child abuse

Basically, story that starts out sweet and wholesome about a dude raising a little girl like his daughter, then somewhere around 3/4s of the way through, there’s a time skip, and suddenly she’s in high school, and it becomes a case of “Well, we’re not related by blood, let’s go!”, and uncomfortably recontextualizes the entire (honestly very well written and enjoyable) first half from wholesome slice of life of a guy and his Adopted daughter, into weird and creepy grooming.

A lot of people just kinda pretend the whole thing ended right before the time skip, and want nothing to do with the latter half.

1 Like

I think that is just another case and point. Anime is infested by pervy bullshit. If you’re already desensitised to anime culture you’re effectively oblivious to what otherwise is very obvious.

1 Like

In the anime there’s a wholesome relationship with an uncle adopting a child in the family who lost all her guardians. In the manga it develops into a romantic relationship. It’s way bad.

Ah. I remember that being discussed on the podcast. I didn’t keep the name Bunny Drop with that story.

It’s so true. Like I want to tell Luke to go watch something like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The greatest sci-fi cyberpunk TV anime there is. But The Major has major tits and ass hanging out because of course she does.

1 Like

All cyberpunk has tits and ass hanging out. It’s all right there in Bladerunner. It’s part of the aesthetic. I rewatch Ghost in the Shell (the movie) every few years. It’s great! Nudity and all. I’ve never found myself wanting more of it though. I have a DVD of the second movie sitting under my TV, but I’ve never gotten around to watching it due to the subtitles only being in German.

Being only casually into Anime but having watched the GITS SAC growing up and I knew that my wife would enjoy the cyberpunk themes, but I also knew that I would need to make a sell because of how Mokoto’s outfit and design. My wife did enjoy both seasons and likes Mokoto as a character, but the fact remains I needed to explain to someone with no anime exposure why one of the highest regarded representations of the medium was worth overcoming that.

The second movie is… out there. I’m curious what you would think if you did watch it, but it’s… a thing.

The TV show is arguably even better than the first movie in some ways. It’s very police procedural. One of the greatest. If you’re willing, give it a shot.

Anime is notorious for taking scenarios that IRL at face value would be highly suspect, but writing in contrivances to paint an innocent picture. Yet all the while the subtext is normalise perverted bs.

Ghost in the Shell, anime/ movie is no exception. As good as they are.

Suspending disbelief is a required.

Ugh.

Whatever your positions are on pervy anime/manga, it is NOT OK to express it as anti-Japanese (or “lol japan” – it’s an entire country of people) sentiment.

That’s racist, at best xenophobic.

5 Likes