Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

37g of sugar amounting to 100 calories. I can survive that. I seem to burn about 2500/day if I’m not active.

Damn. I burn about 1800 tops on an inactive day. So jealous.

Where are you getting these numbers?

You can get basic numbers with one of the many BMR calculators out there. The only real way to know is to do real tests, but a calculator can get you in the ballpark.

Most of the latest research (as far as I am aware) is slowly coming to the understanding that a calorie is no longer equivalent to any other calorie, regardless of source. The way the body processes and handles sugars (explicitly through the liver) make calories from sugar uniquely bad for your body chemistry. There is a reason why the daily recommended intake for sugar is < 25g a day.

1 Like

Yet somehow we’ve managed to get sugar into almost everything. Dunno what we were thinking.

1 Like

We managed to get sugar into everything because the sugar lobby supported misleading science in the 70s to blame obesity on fat instead of sugar. This led to “low-fat” nutrition recommendation and in order to make this food taste good, processed food manufacturers had to add more sugar.

Also sugar is as chemically addictive as nicotine, so there is that as well.

I’m thinking I wasn’t clear, this is my failure to master communication in textual english. I know why sugar is in everything, was going down the bitter sarcasm route.

Several years ago I spent a number of months and considerable effort tracking every calorie consumed in conjunction a BMR formula in an effort to learn better weight management. I got the formula dialed in pretty well and have successfully controlled my weight within a fairly narrow window ever since. But I also learned that if I’m inactive for a spell I can’t eat much at all without gaining weight.

1 Like

For the past three months I have only eaten veggies, nuts/seeds, fruit, eggs, and fish/crustaceans. And I only drink water. I’ve lost 40 pounds so far. The first 20 pounds melted off quickly and then things slowed down a bit. I’ve slowly increased the amount of exercise so I don’t hurt myself.

The next time I go to my doctor, I’m going to ask for some more blood work to make sure I’m not deficient in any vitamins.

I’m no where near where I want to be yet, but I’m starting to worry about all the loose skin. Anyone here have any experience with loose skin after dramatic weight loss? I’ve read that exercising only helps so much and that insurance only helps for surgery around the stomach area.

4 Likes

Usually the recommendation is to look after the elasticity of the skin as someone loses weight. Dropping more than a kilogram a week can be too much for skin. Constant hydration is very important as is not losing any lean muscle (muscle gained by high reps, this type of tissue is least likely to be used by energy from all the tissues that are considered as a source of energy). Also making sure your skin is kept well taken care of in terms of exfoliation.

However since you’ve already lost the weight and have noticed the excess skin, I’m pretty sure there is tightening creams and baths, surgery should be a last resort if it is cosmetic, but it also depends on if the volume of excess skin is causing functional problems.

Can’t say with great confidence but having excess skin in the long term can be a bit of a headache in terms of allowing for bacterial and fungal infections, plus making sure the entire surface area is cleaned up at every shower, almost a situation where a bath may be better.

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been hydrating like crazy and I’ll ask my dr for tips on keeping my skin healthy. I have a meeting with a personal trainer next week to see if I like them. I explained to the trainer what’s going on and that I need help doing strength training (since I’ve never done it outside of high school).

I know I should have tried to get healthy years ago. I just didn’t care enough. Now, I am the legal guardian of my niece. The idea of raising a child never crossed my mind before. Knowing that my little one depends on me so much is terrifying. My priorities have completely changed. It’s at the same time the most amazing/terrifying thing that has ever happened to me. I have a much better appreciation for all you parents out there.

2 Likes

I recently rebalanced my macros to reduce carbs and up fat intake, focusing on healthy fats - and holy hell, I experience 100% more satisfaction.

I’ve found that tracking intake - literally tracking everything that goes into my face - has been a huge help in maintaining diet discipline. I’ve got an app for it. Works great.

1 Like

That’s a great plan there Kate. I just started doing one fairly similar to that, only difference is I’m doing two meals (around 600 kcal) and three snacks (200 kcal) to get around 1800 kcal per day. My BMR is at least 2500 kcal, so that should be sufficient until I hit my target weight and fat percentage. I’m still using weight because it lets me keep track of muscle gains and maintenance, which are just as important to me as losing fat.

I’ve been stagnating since the New Year. I haven’t really gained any weight but I’ve definitely stopped losing weight. I think it’s majority lack of physical activity as well as increased levels of alcohol consumption. Turning this ship around right now, not fucking this up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Starting to count calories and been exercising at least four days a week (goal is five times unless I need to rest an extra day). My exercise consists of either:

3+ Mile run with at least two miles done at an 8:30 split. My best one mile split is around 7:45
8+ Mile bike ride at hard intensity
Kettlebell Swings + Turkish Getups
5+ Mile Hiking (moderate to difficult intensity)

I’ve been going for about a week and a half now. I’m hoping to reach some fitness + body fat % goals by mid-august for Cosplay reasons :wink:

6 Likes

Ran my first one hour run continuous in a long time. Reached 5.25 miles. So pumped I was able to stay focused and not stop until I finished!

4 Likes

I need to get back to this or at least 45 minutes so I can watch “hour long” shows on my treadmill :-p

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Enjoy your daily dose of “Scott is the best, the smartest, and is always right.”

3 Likes