Notable Deaths

RIP to another legend. Too soon. Only 68?
I’m seeing reports he had subdural hematoma. I believe that means he just hit is head in a bad way. Tragic.

Thank you forever for creating the Dragon Quest Slime.

2 Likes

While that is the typical cause for it, it can happen other ways too, like due to a bleeding disorder. It just means blood between the brain and its outer covering. One is my partners has a bleeding disorder and headaches that get too bad or last too long have to be watched out for.

1 Like

Terrible news to wake up to. R.I.P. to a legend.

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

RIP Ed Piskor

1 Like
1 Like

Akebono was the first non-Japanese person to reach the rank of Yokozuna. Reading his obituary, it’s crazy how controversial it was in 1993 to have a foreigner be promoted to Yokozuna.

When I lived in Japan, I loved watching Sumo and would occasionally go to seasonal tournaments in Tokyo. When I lived there, Sumo was pretty much dominated by Mongolian wrestlers, Asashoryu and Hakuho. There was even a Bulgarian wrestler named Kotooshu who reached the rank of Ozeki, the second highest, and was the first European wrestler to win a tournament.

Times have definitely changed, and I’m glad that when I lived in Japan, 2004-2007, 20 or so years after Akebono achieved Yokozuna, that Japan is more open to foreigners in Sumo.

1 Like

OJ Simpson.

Few have had a life with such high highs and such low lows.

2 Likes

Daniel Dennett died today.

https://dailynous.com/2024/04/19/daniel-dennett-death-1942-2024/

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

3 Likes

RIP Steve Albini, you beautiful bastard

1 Like

Guy was a legend in a grim way. But the thing I want you all to take away is how much better than “dying on the street” we can make someone’s life with even the tiniest effort. Giving even a hundredth of a fuck is infinitely more than giving zero.

He didn’t die in the streets, and he didn’t die alone.

1 Like

Most notable, he made a cameo appearance in the 2022 episode “The Power of The Doctor”…William Russell obituary | Stage | The Guardian

An unsurprising one but RIP Gainax.

1 Like