Notable Deaths

RIP to another legend. Too soon. Only 68?
I’m seeing reports he had subdural hematoma. I believe that means he just hit is head in a bad way. Tragic.

Thank you forever for creating the Dragon Quest Slime.

2 Likes

While that is the typical cause for it, it can happen other ways too, like due to a bleeding disorder. It just means blood between the brain and its outer covering. One is my partners has a bleeding disorder and headaches that get too bad or last too long have to be watched out for.

1 Like

Terrible news to wake up to. R.I.P. to a legend.

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

RIP Ed Piskor

1 Like

Akebono was the first non-Japanese person to reach the rank of Yokozuna. Reading his obituary, it’s crazy how controversial it was in 1993 to have a foreigner be promoted to Yokozuna.

When I lived in Japan, I loved watching Sumo and would occasionally go to seasonal tournaments in Tokyo. When I lived there, Sumo was pretty much dominated by Mongolian wrestlers, Asashoryu and Hakuho. There was even a Bulgarian wrestler named Kotooshu who reached the rank of Ozeki, the second highest, and was the first European wrestler to win a tournament.

Times have definitely changed, and I’m glad that when I lived in Japan, 2004-2007, 20 or so years after Akebono achieved Yokozuna, that Japan is more open to foreigners in Sumo.

1 Like

OJ Simpson.

Few have had a life with such high highs and such low lows.

1 Like