Nintendo Switch

A good new Penny Arcade strip about the OLED Switch.

The only bummer about it all is that the joycons remain the same. I still refuse to buy another pair.

Iā€™ve been lucky that my joycons have not drifted. Probably because I donā€™t use them all that much. Mostly use separate gamepad. Also because I bought a second pair of joycons on day 1, and have swapped them occasionally. Now that Iā€™m reminded, Iā€™ll swap them again today.

I got a switch last week. Whatā€™s the way to go on real controller? Is 8bitdo better than first-party pro controller?

Had an 8bitdo, the pads under the buttons tore on me. Pro controller, no issues.

Itā€™s kind of bullshit, but while many third party wireless controllers work with the Switch just fine for play, they can not wake the switch from sleep state. If you sit on your couch and grab an 8BitDo, you wonā€™t be able to turn on the Switch. Youā€™ll have to walk over to the Switch and press the power button, then take the 8bitdo back to the couch. For that reason I go with the official pro controller on Switch.

1 Like

8bitdoā€™s SN30 Pro+ makes it easy to switch between consoles and computers. Iā€™m alternating Linux and Switch, and Iā€™m very happy with it overall. If you donā€™t care about switching sources, then the Switch Proā€™s overall integration might be nicer, mainly the power-on that Apreche mentioned.

1 Like

On the Windows end of things the official pro controller has worked perfectly for me, and itā€™s what I use when I need a controller with Steam.

1 Like

Iā€™m on my second 8bit-do controller, and itā€™s already showing signs of wear. Itā€™s a shame, as their feel is really good, and they generally have worked really well on PC for me. But just donā€™t last. Though they are also cheaper than any first party controllers, so buying new one yearly is not big investment, just not something I want to do.

The classic racing franchise from the N64/old arcade collecting dust in a pizza joint has a sequel over 20 years later.

Is this the real answer for joycon drift?

1 Like

TL;DW: add a 1mm shim inside the controller. The increased pressure holds everything together and eliminates drift.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing Breath of the Wild. I had avoided finding out basically anything about the game since release. Iā€™m still staying out of the BotW thread, so I will just say this here.

Those were some horny ass sharks.

7 Likes

Iā€™d hit him. Just sayinā€™.

Honestly, that makes sense, Iā€™ve been temporarily solving drift by just either tapping the back of my joycons, or pushing in on the relevant stick and holding it a few seconds.

This past week on of my joycons finally started drifting. It drifts upwards. I can confirm, as per the permanent fix video above, that squeezing the joycon, applying pressure behind the stick, does indeed consistently remove the drift. I will test whether putting a piece of cardboard in there is a permanent fix. Iā€™m also considering buying some replacement shells just for fun. Iā€™m going to need the screwdrivers, and most shell replacement kits come with them.

Good news. I swapped the shell of my left joycon. The fix for the drift worked perfectly. There is now absolutely no drift. Just stuck a piece of business card on the back of the joystick like the video said.

Bad news, I think I broke the ZL button. Luckily there are 3rd party replacements for just that part alone for a few dollars.

EDIT: Maybe I fixed the ZL button again?

1 Like

Great news for everyone who doesnā€™t have a tricked out GBA and DS like myself.

1 Like

Iā€™ll believe it when Iā€™m downloading the update and not a moment earlier.

1 Like