Nintendo Switch

3 Likes

Iā€™ll have to check that out. I like these style games Nintendo is doing. I donā€™t know why they ended Mario 35 though.

Spite.

Pac Man 99, can not have too many Nintendo Battle Royale games at onceā€¦

4 Likes
2 Likes

After a bunch of needless hemming and hawing, I have joined the ranks of Switch owners! Add me, binches.

SW-7444-7178-3021

16 years of Development Hellā€¦

No mention of an improved dock that would support native 4K resolution.

Come on Nintendoā€¦

Thatā€™s the smart move. 4K TV adoption is still really low. 4K does not help Nintendo make any games they canā€™t make in 1080p. Nor does it help them make games more fun. It wouldnā€™t increase their sales in any measurable way. It would drastically increase the cost of their hardware, lower the supply, and increase the cost of software development. Not to mention including that much more processing power would cause a lot of problems in the design of the Switch in terms of power and heat that would likely result in something larger, more cumbersome, and less elegant. A 4K Switch makes no sense. I donā€™t know why so many people thought one was coming.

Theyā€™d sell just as many Animal Crossings at the same price if the game was 720p. What reason is there to do 4K?

Thread ā†’

1 Like

Itā€™s already more expensive than the ā€œnormalā€ switch. Itā€™s going to cost $350. And for what? A slightly bigger screen thatā€™s an OLED? A more adjustable stand?

I have never used my Switch outside of its dock. I only play it on my TV. I know Iā€™m not alone in that. I was hoping for a more powerful Switch that could play more third party games. The Switch is already underpowered compared to the last generation of PlayStations and XBoxes, compared to the newest generation of consoles, Iā€™m worried that fewer and fewer third party games are going to be ported to the Switch.

Now, if you only care about Nintendo games, or want a better portable experience, this doesnā€™t impact you, but there are a lot of gamers like me out there that want a more powerful Switch and donā€™t really care about itā€™s undocked capabilities.

Is that our Kiey?

Iā€™m pretty sure their data shows them most people play the Switch handheld and not on a TV. I would strongly guess that is the case.

I honestly donā€™t think thatā€™s true at all. Nintendo wouldnā€™t make different games, and those gamers probably already have another console.

No first-party Nintendo game would sell better if the graphics were better.

For people who donā€™t have a Switch yet. For people getting a second (or third) Switch for the several members of their household. For people who had their Switch broken, lost, stolen, or just worn out.

This is also probably more about manufacturing and supply chains than anything. As the other factories change what they produce, it can be hard to keep manufacturing a device that is built with older parts. They upgrade their display and a few chips to ones that are easier to procure, and that have had their prices go down over time. Switch is over 4 years old already. They just make these necessary backend changes and have the side benefit of being able to market it as an upgrade.

The Switch already has more third party games than anything? The eShop is truly massive. DOOM Eternal is out on the current Switch hardware. If thatā€™s on there, what third party game are you worried wonā€™t be ported? Even though the big AAA high graphics games do get ported to Switch, that is usually the worst version of those games. If those are the games are the games you care about most, the Switch isnā€™t for you. Go get a PS5.

Yes

1 Like

Iā€™m quite glad there isnā€™t more powerful Switch ā€œproā€ coming. Because that would just create the problem would games be developed for the new hardware or old. Designing stuff primary for new hardware and thatā€™s huge fuck you to owners of old Swithces who would get shittily running slideshows. Alternativelly everything would be designed to with old specks in mind, in which case people would pay 100$ even 200$ more for barely anything.

There was New 3DS, which had exclusive games, few handful of those, probably wasnā€™t worth it.

I would actually be very curious about this.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but I would think that most people who want to do portable gaming just use their phones or an iPad.

Obviously this is anecdotal, but Iā€™ve almost never seen people using their Switch like that announcement video showed, using it outside or in a party situation. The only people Iā€™ve ever seen use their Switch undocked was the rare commuter going to work on the metro. Back when I wasnā€™t teleworking and taking the metro ever day to my office, I thought about using my Switch on the ride. But pretty much every game I looked into, whether it was Dead Cells or Lonely Mountain: Downhill said that the game had slowdown when played undocked and that you should just get these games for a different system, completely negating the benefit of the Switchā€™s portability.

Additionally, all the families with kids I know donā€™t use their Switches outside or when theyā€™re traveling. They use iPads or phones with huge rubberized cases for protection.

Iā€™ve been thinking about this also. I think we could actually see the decline of the large screen over time. I get the feeling a lot more people simply donā€™t have a TV at all. Especially if they live in apartments, donā€™t watch a lot of things, or are content to watch things on phone or tablet directly.

Sure, people are still going to all have big TVs in their homes, but I think we could see them disappear from rooms other than the living room. Watch on a tablet or phone in bed, no need for a TV in there. And even the living room one is probably seeing less usage.

The big television, or projector, could end up being a thing people have and only use at special times. And people with less money or living space might not have them at all.

We do know that the market for Nintendo-specific games is unique and somewhat separate from ā€œgeneralā€ mobile gaming.

We also know that Nintendo tends to make decisions that reflect the information they have about their core customer base, which is rarely wrong.

I would bet money most Switch users, even at home, are sitting with the console in their hands. TV dockers are the exception. The Switch Lite did pretty well, and it canā€™t work with a TV.