Netflix Animated Shows

Started watching the new animated series Hilda over the weekend. It’s based on a graphic novel series by Luke Pearson who has done storyboarding for the series Adventure Time. The series has been compared to shows like Gravity Falls and Over the Garden Wall.

I hadn’t really watched those shows just bits of both. So I really can’t say how it’s alike to those shows. But I really like it so far. So Hilda is about a young girl and her friends. Exploring and getting into all sorts of adventures. There is a lot Norse/Scandinavian based/inspired mythology. That the show uses and puts it’s own spin on.

Opener song for the series is done by Grimes. Which I’m a fan of her music. I’m about halfway done with the first season. I hope it does well enough for a 2nd season. There hasn’t been any overarching plot. Just some world building an episodic stories. Which has been a nice break from the anime I typically tend to watch.

https://youtu.be/XCojP2Ubuto

1 Like

I’m digging Dragon Prince!

1 Like

I forget where I read this, but the creators behind Dragon Prince were apparently trying to recreate the animation style of 1980’s cartoons. Based on the feedback they’ve gotten from season one, I wouldn’t be surprised if the animation in season two is more fluid and what we’re used to these days.

Other than that, like I wrote in the TV thread, I loved the show.

I finished watching the first season of Dragon Prince. The animation at first was a little distracting but I got over it by the 2nd episode. And I felt the character interactions and dialogue were solid throughout the season.

1 Like

Someone got their fetish anime on Netflix:

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u4XAnhpCAM

Did one episode and “noped.”

Currently awaiting Voltron Season 8. Also, that Watership Down Mini Series is slated for Christmas Day, so that’s exciting.

I guess I’ve build enough tolerance for weird shit that inclusion of some vore doesn’t turn me away from a show with cute dragon in it. Only watched two episodes so far, so can’t really say if it’s good or not, but I’ll keep watching.

She-Ra is really, really good, at least from the 6 episodes I’ve seen so far. I didn’t know going in that Noelle Stevenson (of Lumberjanes, Nimona, etc.) was involved but it really shows. Also I’m feasting on this delicious internet butthurt:

1 Like

First I’ve heard of this actually. I definitely enjoyed Castlevania.

She-Ra is not Castlevania, haha, so don’t go in expecting that! So far my daughter and I are loving it. She gets REALLY excited when the transformation of She-Ra occurs, I think Magical Girl Anime is in her future.

2 Likes

Huh. I never heard of this series bevore.

New She-Ra is pretty dope. It’s a mix-mash of like Steven Universe, MLP, and Avatar: The Last Airbender but in a way that’s kinda of fitting the origins of the whole He-Man/She-Ra universe of combining tons of popular stuff into one big genre gumbo. Love the character design and lots of neat character interactions between people romantically and platonically. The Adora/Catra rivalry is definitely the push of this story and it’s wonderful.

I only wish the animation was better. It’s under the Dreamworks logo but is done by a South Korean studio called NE4U. Noelle Stevenson’s great artwork carries a lot of heavy lifting but there’s a severe lack of faces and emotional reactions. Other wise, I’d recommend it. It’s not Voltron or SU, but it’s definitely B+/A- material.

2 Likes

Not having seen it yet, I wonder if they’ll ever tie-in the whole He-Man as She-Ra’s fraternal twin brother thing at any point, in a way that’s suitable to modern audiences, of course. As a kid (and admittedly not knowing better about quality programming), I always did like their team-up episodes. If memory serves, they did a pretty good job of showing them as basically equals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSISwxrY4

2 Likes

Time to watch that biz yet again.

1 Like

4 Likes