"Metal" is the best thread title here

2 Likes

Adult Swim Festival, starting tomorrow. Featuring Mastodon, Metalocalypse, and a bunch of other Adult Swimmy stuff.

https://www.adultswim.com/presents/festival/index.html

1 Like

Beats out posting in Skeletons by a hair.

More info about it.

2 Likes

Yeah, because we already discussed it an decided that a skull is not a skeleton. It can be part of a skeleton, but isn’t one in and of itself.

Liquid Tension 3xperiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCuDIMIzo

2 Likes

Holy shit, it’s only been 20 years. Am I hype? I don’t know right now, as long as they can recap the groovy fusion prog of their first two I’m down tho. Either way it’ll be wankcity.

WHAT

My body is ready.

I’m honestly fairly confident based on recent DT offerings that this is going to suck each and every ass on the planet, but I’m gonna listen anyway.

1 Like

Suck sequentially or simultaneously?

The remaster for Between the Buried and Me’s Colors is out today, makes the album a lot more modern and clear sounding. I was put off at first since the original is a lo bassier, but towards the end of the akb m I really appreciated how much more headroom and clarity it has, tires the ears a lot less which is important for an album thays one 64 minute song lol.

Blackened Bubblegum Pop is my new obsession. I was not aware of the Genderfuck Black Metal community, but now I am all about it.

1 Like

I watched a movie called The Sound of Metal, about a drummer that loses his hearing.

He ends up at a recovery group for deaf people. The guy who runs it is played by Paul Raci, who in real life is the frontman for Hands of Doom, a Black Sabbath tribute band.

Sorry, a sign language Black Sabbath tribute band.

Thanks YouTube.

This might be the hardest black metal I’ve ever heard. It fucking slams

https://youtu.be/8T5aHyzk9X0

1 Like

Welp. Cancelling them straight into the cold hard ground.

15 or so years ago I tried to get more into metal and actually bought an Iced Earth album at the time, The Glorious Burden. I saw it at a music store and thought a three part, 20+ minute opus about the American Civil War seemed pretty neat, and it actually turned out pretty well. But even then I thought it was an odd and rather unwise choice to sing part of it in character as Robert E. Lee and another general of the Confederates, and the other part of the album was also quite drenched in adulation for american history. My metal phase ended pretty quickly as I had more or less satiated my interest.

As I just found out, there had actually been some greater controversy about that particular album as reviewers also noted these rah-rah lyrics and found them distasteful in the wake of the Iraq war, to which Schaffer refused to tour europe where those reviews had come from and several band members almost quit because of his bullheadedness.

I guess I am not exactly surprised that people who have somewhat masturbatory tendencies about the civil war turned out to be prime targets for Trump’s brand of american fascism.

P.S.: A much better and more poignant song about american history which came out around the same time, even if it’s not metal: 'Merican by The Descendents

Yeah, post-9/11, Schaffer kinda committed to being a shithead. I always sideyed Barlow for becoming a cop, but he doesn’t appear to be a piece of shit like this guy.

Bonus Disc: Includes almost an hour of improvised jams.

I guess I will… be sticking to disc 1.

1 Like

What I thought was, […] the world needs a Turing-complete programming language for writing computer programs, that are also 1980’s hard rock power ballads.

Stick around for the performance of FizzBuzz.

I’m actually here for masturbatory improv jams.