Media Analysis and Criticism

New Kaptain Kristian!

1 Like

Blue of OSP talks about an interesting subject today: Chicago’s Tribune Tower. He talks about the building’s design contest where the winner received a big cash prize, and he also touches on New York’s gorgeous skyscrapers and their European influences.

4 Likes

OK favorite silly mashup theory revisitized:

I haven’t played a racing video game besides Mario Kart since Need for Speed underground in high school. I had no idea the state of the genre was this dire.

1 Like

The racing genre got pretty flooded during the PS1/N64 era, and after first-person shooters became the dominant genre in the next generation of consoles, it felt like there was no going back.

VGST takes a balance perspective on copyright law and game preservation.

Red from OSP has made perhaps her most intriguing video to date–a half-hour retrospective on the history of communication, how its evolution over time influenced fiction, which in turn influenced its real-life invention, which became recursive and influenced our modern fiction. It’s great both as a trope discussion and as a history lesson.

As a sort of memorial to E3, Whimsu takes us back in time to 1995 to see what the first E3 was like–how and why the first convention was formed, a summary of each studio’s conference (rare footage included!), and how each company’s approach contributed to the tone of E3 in the years that would follow.

It’s pretty astonishing to see how radically different E3 was in its early days–less a bombastic showcase of trailers and more a series of dry lectures.

One of my favorite YouTube series, Deja View, is back after a 5-year hiatus!
For those who haven’t seen Deja View yet, they’re short videos packed full of information about foreign remakes of Hollywood blockbusters.

Check out the full playlist.

1 Like

Regardless whether you care about wrestling or not, you absolutely have to watch this video:

4 Likes

Just watched it yesterday, and SuperEyePatchWolf dropping another absolute banger. Still not enough for me to actually watch wrestling, but his ability to pull you into the emotional narrative on and off the stage and highlight all the ways wrestling is a storytelling artform makes it such a joy to watch his video essays on the topic.

1 Like

I’m a bit late to this video but wanted to share.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Things of Your Day

Holy shit! Fredrik Knudsen is back!

1 Like

As someone who deals with vending machine issues, it’s hard to find YouTube videos that are helpful with solving your problem. This channel sticks out because the presenter is plain spoken, with top quality camera and production values, along with time stamps so you can target a specific issue…https://youtu.be/aoXY7kVet-c?si=8hzxxKJxuDwAOvDH

Juxtopposed is an interesting YouTube channel that talks about UI design.

It has been close to 100 years since Metropolis graced the cinema, being the first movie to depict how UI would probably look in the future, and later films and TV shows would show their interpretations of how UI would look and evolve. How right or wrong were they?

1 Like