Media Analysis and Criticism

Have y’all got one-and-a-half days to spare?

Oooh.

I will admit that I watched this show as a kid.

Norman Caruso interviews the developers of Oregon Trail and explains how the game’s mechanics evolved with each successive iteration of the game.

At what point did the term “Doom Clone” morph into “First-Person Shooter”? Ahoy explains.

1 Like

Dan Olson from Folding Ideas does a video on James Rolfe, a.k.a. The Angry Video Game Nerd, which in turn also functions as a self-examination.

4 Likes

I watched about 25% of this because, honestly, I didn’t feel the need to spend an hour of my life on an essay about James Rolfe and artistic self-reflection - but the time I did spend on it was quite good. I had no idea who Dan Olson was before this, but now I’m inclined to check out his other videos.

He also nicely articulated a lot of my own meandering thoughts about AVGN over the years.

2 Likes

Dan Olson (a.k.a. Folding Ideas) is a great video creator, talking about both modern media and cultic internet movements that sometimes intersect with or directly result from misinterpretations of media. His probably best known video is “Line Goes Up” which talks about Cryptocurrencies and NFTs, thought of as the definitive takedown of the two. It has racked over 14 million views which is impressive considering it is a 2:20:00 long.

However, I think to get his output there are two videos you should watch, one is called “The Art of Storytelling and The Book of Henry” which talks about the movie of that name and the self-satisfied failure of the narrative within it, and the other is “In Search of a Flat Earth” about the Flat-Earth movement and other cults that have sprung from its wilful ignorance of well established facts.

If you want a shorter taste of Dan’s style, you could check out “Minecraft, Sandboxes and Colonialism” where he talks about sandbox games and how the game concepts both minimize the evils of colonialism and sometimes inadvertently encourage them. That video is only about 15 minutes long.

2 Likes

Sandbox games and colonialism is a topic that I’ve thought about for years now, so that’s right up my alley.

So while watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I got the feeling the ending credits had something of a Jim Steranko feel to them. I’m going to include a YouTube clip of said credits so you can determine for yourself…https://youtu.be/95tF137_BKg?si=Y1W4AvmPM_m5qqfx

If you’re interested in The Winter Soldier ending credits, they were created by David Mack, who has done a lot of Marvel and other comic work.

He discusses the credits here:

Thank you for the information

1 Like