Media Analysis and Criticism

1 Like

SIFTD just launched a new series called New Dimension, which covers video game characters’ transitions from 2D to 3D.

In their debut episode, they had to make a rather obvious pick: Mario. This video explains how Mario’s gameplay had to be completely reinvented for the N64, and what does and doesn’t work about the changes Nintendo had to make for Mario’s first outing in the third dimension.

1 Like

Shane Luiz continues his gaming series, this time for TV shows. His breakdown of E.R. is especially worth checking out for how thorough it is.

“Metroidbrainia”, lol:

From that list, I’ve played Obra Dinn and Heaven’s Vault, and they both certainly work your brain more than say, BRotN.

Mark Brown did something unique: He turned his video essay into a playable game.

1 Like

Kai Winn - Better Villain Than Khan | Renegade Cut

Spoilers for Everything Everywhere All At Once.

An absolutely thorough look at skateboarding as a video game genre.

Geoff has released his magnum opus:

Erin Mills, a YouTuber I’ve been watching for roughly a decade now, is rebranding his second channel which has been dormant for years (he mainly used it for backing up his copyright-claimed videos, which he doesn’t do anymore) and is focusing it on video essays. When checking out this channel again after so long, I discovered a video that he made back in 2015 that I never even noticed until now. It’s a video covering the books of satirist Max Barry that talk about how corporate culture is ruining the world.

He has a third video up now on his Patreon.
EDIT: That video is public now.

Drum & Bass was one of my favorite subgenres of electronic music in the late 90s and early 2000s, and it seems to be making a bit of a resurgence on YouTube. BluShades shows the channels that helped the genre’s return, as well as some recommendations.

1 Like

Following the attacks of 9/11, Clear Channel (now iHeartMedia) famously requested the radio stations they owned to remove a bunch of popular songs from their daily rotation.

Today, on the 21st anniversary of the attacks, Crash Thompson breaks down all 162 songs from the “banned” list (in quotations since they weren’t really banned; they were just suggestions from the higher ups) and checks to see whether they had any merit. Some of these removals made sense, others had to do some mental stretching to really evoke any kind of reflection on the events, and others…just no.

1 Like

New Kaptain Kristian!

I’d already seen this video a few weeks ago (I’m subscribed to his Patreon), but now it’s public and I can finally share it.

Doggans released his review of The King’s Quest Companion, which is probably the wildest player’s guide for any video game series you can imagine. It’s more than just a game guide that gives you all the answers–it’s also a novel that provides its own meta-narrative where the author of the guide is an in-game character in the King’s Quest universe and provides its own wacky lore for how the events of the games came to be.

Who is this person? A doctor? Even a pharmacist? The title alone suggests that this violates our code of conduct on dangerously misleading information and hopefully also some YouTube rule as well.

After giving the video a second watch…yeah, I realized I had some issues with it. I deleted the post.
Sorry.

Already familiar with this, but was still an enjoyable watch.

Another absolute banger of a video essay from Super Eyepatch Wolf

A composer who has been in the TV business for over 40 years reacts to the Cowboy Bebop OP for the first time.