Media Analysis and Criticism

“Simping” is a pejorative used to describe people who follow, obsess, give money to and defend people they follow online. It is very similar to the accusation of “White Knighting”.

Ralph Ethan is a gomergate shitstain, essentially the antithesis of good thought.

Lindsay Ellis is an online media critic which I and others have linked in this very thread several times. She makes good content. She originally started at Channel Awesome as “The Nostalgia Chick” where she was basically recruited to review “girly stuff” but carved out a very respectable niche of her own after escaping that hellscape. She is also a science fiction author and has published two novels so far which have sold very well.

Apparently the curfuffle has been over a throwaway comment comparing Avatar: The Last Airbender with Raya and the Last Dragon, which basically the most wilfully indignant people on the internet have been hound her over for months as supposed anti-asian racism despite both of these media properties being created by western media companies and primarily white people. Another incident over the turn of phrase “if you squint…” has also been wilfully misinterpreted in the worst way possible.

6 Likes

Lindsay’s Patreon post was publicly available for non-patrons last night when I read it after seeing it in the thread. That it was since made private probably means it was creating another pain point (and why wouldn’t it)

There are folks who have already made videos reading and responding to her letter. I imagine those will stay up.

She was an active YouTuber from 2008, to a few years ago, that’s a long run. It’s a sorry thing to see it finally end over internet people being shitty in such a manner as she described.

I get the feeling we’ll see in another 10-20 years a lot of these foundational figures who had been pushed out of the YT thing over various dramas, frustrations, burnout, etc; will come back to whatever platform is out there for such content and rekindle some of those old fans; armed with life experience and new purpose.

She’s been making super nice and insightful video essays for ages
and also, she was hounded by nazis for a long time, looking for anything to criticize her for

Have you ever wondered whether Windows XP’s iconic default wallpaper, Bliss, is a real photograph?

Turns out it is, and it has quite an intriguing history behind it. This mini-documentary from Michael MJD explains who took the photograph and the wild career he lived, when and where the photograph was taken, and how it wound up in Microsoft’s hands. At the end of the video, Michael travels to the physical location of Bliss and shows how it looks today.

I tried Arcanum multiple times and couldn’t penetrate the old clunky mechanics. This is both an excellent narrated playthrough, explanation of the influence/context behind the game, and discussion of how despite including many progressive takes regarding eugenics, white supremacy, and fascism, the game still suffers by being made by people who are so seeped within those ideologies they can’t help but reproduce them.

1 Like

This video is neat but really it’s the first minute and a half everyone should watch.

This one, however late I am to it, hit hard and exemplifies why I like this creator.

2 Likes

New Kaptain Kristian video, and we don’t have to wait two years this time!

1 Like

OMFG why is this video two hours long???

3 Likes

Because it’s a “deep dive.” A deep dive of nearly 20 years’ worth of material can’t be five minutes.

2 Likes

Shane Luis, host of Rerez, just started a new interesting series where he breaks down depictions of people playing video games in movies and determines whether or not they’re accurate.

https://watch.eventive.org/satoshikon

Don’t miss the Satoshi Kon retrospective while it’s still available. Not only can you watch his films, but there’s the documentary and also a lecture. The lecture was OK, the documentary was excellent.

2 Likes
1 Like

Shortly after Kentaro Miura’s passing last year, Totally Not Mark decided to go through the entirety of the Berserk manga, reviewing each arc on a monthly basis. Today, he uploaded his finale, and instead of mearly covering the final arc and calling it a day, what does he do? He remakes his entire review series into a massive 3-hour video, complete with new edits and commentary, and even full animations.

1 Like

SO.
I did a thing.

In 2018, I set out to research Japanese commercials for a panel at Anime Los Angeles.
I spent over $500 paying research assistants and translators, collected data on over 900 commercials (both Japanese and American), and spent a year filming, making motion graphics, and editing this project down to a good, cohesive report on my findings.

And it’s premiering tonight at 8PM PDT.

9 Likes

The Manga Mavericks podcast recently recommended a YouTube channel you need to check out: Colleen’s Manga Recs, a discussion on shoujo manga.

Gives me an excuse to repost my favorite one:

You encounter any Pocari Sweat commercials?

1 Like