Marvel Cinematic Universe

That’s right, there’s one more person to add to the list - Michael B. Jordan played both the Human Torch in the Fantastic 4 remake a few years ago and is also in Black Panther.

2 Likes

Watched Black Panther last night. The movie was great. The cast was solid. The world of Wakanda was cool. And as for the bad guys, Killmonger had one of the most compelling backstories that Marvel has put out on screen. That being said Chadwicks performance as the Black Panther was great. The actress that played his sister Shuri was awesome. She rivals Tony Stark in the tech-savvy gadget dept. And the actress that played the general Okoye was just kickass. I guess this film is considered an origin story if that’s the case this one of the better ones that have been put out. It’s worth seeing in the theaters.

3 Likes

Everyone’s ranking the MCU movies revised with Black Panther included so here’s my take:

18 Wolverine
17 Fantastic Four
16 Hulk
15 Elektra
14 The Punisher
13 Captain America (the 90s one)
12 X Men
11 X Men II
10 The Other Fantastic Four
9 X Men First Class
8 Ghost Rider II
7 Spider Man
6 X Men III
5 Spider Man III
4 Ghost Rider
3 The Other Other Fantastic Four
2 The Other Other Other Fantastic Four
1 Howard The Duck

2 Likes

So… New thread for Infinity War or do we just mark Spoilers past this point?

Keep it all in one thread, and I’ll catch back up with it in a few weeks when I get a chance to see the movie.

Spoilers: Thanos is thwarted by Rocket Racoon who swaps out the Infinity stones from the Infinity Gauntlet with Jolly Ranchers.

In sorta-but-not-really Marvel news, the Venom trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY

As someone who is pretty far out of the loop on MCU, is there anything else I should see if I want to go see Infinity War?

Probably Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians vol. 2 are the most narratively relevant, so I would suggest those at minimum. Dr. Strange might help too but you can figure out most of his stuff from context clues, same as you can with most everyone else in the cast.

1 Like

I might add Black Panther to that list too. And given that Dr. Strange has a cameo in Thor: Ragnarok, I suspect you can skip Strange’s solo movie if you watch Thor. Watching Civil War might also be a good way to get a baseline on all the characters if you need a primer on all of the main good guys at once.

2 Likes

Captain America: Civil War, Dr. Strange, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are certainly the most pressing ones this movie builds upon. This basically is the entirety of “Phase 3” of the MCU, with the only exception being Spider-Man: Homecoming which is optional.

Just returned from Infinity War. The film is very good and if you are at all interested you should go see it. But with that said SPOILERS AHEAD

This movie is in essence a counter-point to everything the MCU was before. It still has elements such as witty banter, particularly on the part of the Guardians, Stark and Spider-Man, but it also strikes rather strong somber-notes which is befitting. You could basically see it as an inversion if you assume the position that Thanos is the “hero” of this film, overcoming obstacles in his way and completing his goal. This doesn’t quite work because there is no real “setback” or “down point” for Thanos, but he continues his path of conquest, you see his backstory, motivation and values as the movie fleshes out his character. And the movie ends with him ultimately succeeding and ending his story in so far.

However, Thanos is of course the villain of this movie so this movie ends with an unequivocal complete defeat for the actual heroes of the film. You could very much consider this the end of the MCU. In reality of course this is the “low-point” in the heroes journey of the collective MCU. Unfortunately this also means that for a large part this movie kind of undermines the whole point of its preceding movies, particularly Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther as it essentially proves the struggles shown within those movies as all for naught. Perhaps that is true for all the MCU movies preceding.

There is a small glimmer of hope shown in the post-credits scene, even though that also shows the loss of two other known quantities. It is also kind of cryptic if you aren’t “in the know”, and I assume a lot of people will leave the theater unhappy with no mid-credits scene and the extremely downer ending if they don’t stay for the post-credits scene.

In any case, there might be some severe mood-whiplash considering next up on the plate is “Ant-Man and the Wasp”.

1 Like

Ant-Man vs the Wasp is looking good, the Ghost is actually a pretty fun villian (he’s a Ant-Corporate spy who steals secrets from coporations, so I’m wonder how they are going to Portray him, he’s a perfect “Is he really doing a bad thing?” kind of villain.

The versions of Ghost I’ve seen is also a sociopath, so I’m expecting a major disregard for human life. Given Scott Lang’s backstory, it sound like Ghost will be “Scott Lang, but evil, with a slightly different powerset”.

Call it now: There will be a “You’re the same, you and I.”-monologue.

I doubt the various TV series will really deal with it, but having a season where they have to deal with the fallout of Infinity War would be pretty interesting.

Infinity War is a good time, I have watched twice, will definitely watch it again. It is worth watching it in IMAX
I have no regrets.
Also, Thanos is a lot like Raoh.

Here’s a question.

Why do so many comic book things have such dorky-sounding names? Dormammu, Kaecilius, Killmonger, Skrulls, Samoflange, the list goes on…

Is the causation the other way around? The comic names sound cheesy to me because they’re from (cheesy) comic books? E.g. Prince of Nothing has a ton of weird names, but it’s Serious Business so it doesn’t immediately trigger my that sounds dumb reflex.

Because most of these characters were created in the 1960s and 1970s when things were just goofier? Just like characters created in the 1990s have just as bad names (everyone is EXTREME) but for different reasons.

1 Like

1 Like

I actually own this entire miniseries! :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, and while the Prince of Nothing might not have dorky-sounding names by 1960s-1970s Marvel standards, it’s full of pretentious ridiculous names that seem to be hard to pronounce on purpose.

It’s all about perspective and how old you were when you read it for the first time:

I guess you’re not a fantasy author until you have characters with every single first letter in their name. Poor Quallas, all alone.

1 Like