Look at Me, I'm Playing Video Games

Vehicles are cheap in pen and paper Battletech. Drop one of your medium mechs and have an army of crappy little glass cannons filled with SRMs.

The one thing in Battletech is that there is never any real stealth or cover. You canā€™t hide in a tree like advance wars. That is the key element that makes a fast or tiny mech not so great for much beyond scouting and spotting. If there were actual opportunities to be invisible, the SRM carrier would be god. Hide in a tree. Lure enemy mechs in close. Jump out and mow 'em down.

Also, the video game does not offer the ability to fire artillery or AOE weapons that target a hex instead of an actual enemy. You need that in a world where enemies can hide.

The computer game add straight damage reduction. Cover in trees prevents 1/4 damage, and Bulwark (A Pilot Skill in the guts tree) prevents 50% damage from the front if the 'mech doesnā€™t move.

EDIT: For clarity

1 Like

Does that stack?
(Isnā€™t bulwark in the Guts skill?)

I know what it does. But there is an enormous gulf between damage reduction and ā€œI have no fucking clue where the enemies areā€.

It doesnā€™t, but if get behind a Bulwarked Mech in cover it still has 25% damage reduction from cover.

1 Like

Double blind rules do exist in Battletech, but they require a GM. Iā€™ve never heard of anyone whoā€™s used the rules.

I basically run Bulwark on everyone now that Iā€™m in the assault mech stages of the game. I also have a lot of +1 initiative people which is debatableā€¦ some maps itā€™s the strongest thing to be able to go first, or ideally to go twice back to back by passing. Problem is that thereā€™s no phase ā€œbelow assaultā€ to use to get those back to back actions against assault mechs and you end up having to deal with turn order. Similarly the guts final thing is probably the worst skill late game as youā€™re not really doing much with it.

Breaching Shot is probably the default go-to I guess.

Should move this convo to the Battletech thread IMHO

1 Like

Squad new patch

DCS Practice Twitch

We got fooled by Mario Tennis, but we still have Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Yeah fuck that demo nonsense.

https://youtu.be/jiSCaYJB20I?t=6h47m34s

Me onstage at Comic Con, playing Rocket League (Team Rogue). Lost the finals!

Thereā€™s no wired LAN for the switch (for rocket league), so literally had 4 players on split screen for every game.

Not sure why they chose to put in the Underpass arena for the finals! Also, roll wasnā€™t bound to any buttons by default. Therefore not much air control during the matches.

Was still loads of fun!

Now that Iā€™ve had a taste, e-sports here I come!!

Going to stream Mario Tennis tonight for real. Supposedly it goes live at 9pm Eastern, 6PM Pacific time.

Turns out Iā€™m really bad at Mario Tennis.

1 Like

After the stream I played, and there was much less lag. Made it to the finals and lost.

Iā€™m still getting a grasp on when to do what. I lost a lot of matches before they started even getting competitive and then I won a couple. But Iā€™m still far from being decent at the game.

Rosalina is some major bullshit. The amount she can curve shots is insane.

Also the lag in this game is really killing it. Makes it basically unplayable if you donā€™t have a good connection.