Lego

tumblr_c5daef4cf041e18847cc673c5a75604c_8bd9fa8c_540

1 Like

While not nearly as impressive as Barad-dƻr, LEGO finally announced their long-rumored Zelda Great Deku Tree set:

This looks to have two alternate versions: Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild.

Iā€™m not really excited about that set. Hestu being in there is a lot of fun, but thatā€™s about it.

Also, really Zelda is not so much about the places for me, even the castles. Itā€™s more about the items and enemies and such. Give us a Master Sword, a Hylian Shield, a Triforce, that sort of thing.

For people with a lot of space, a whole town could be cool. Just a big old Kakariko or Hateno village set.

Or maybe a shrine set with all kinds of physics parts like catapults and balls rolling down hills and such.

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™m kind of underwhelmed with this set as well.

The minifigs are kind of cool, but the actual Deku Tree doesnā€™t really interest me that much.

I think that your idea of a Master Sword, Hylian Shield, or Triforce would have been cooler. I also think that a giant figure set, like the giant Bowser would have been cool too. A giant Link, or a giant Gannon(dorf), or even another character or enemy of some kind would be pretty neat.

Giant Stalfos, Moblin, Octorock.

Maybe a big Gohma with a little Link who has bow + arrow to shoot at itā€™s eyeball.

2 Likes

I have actually recently built a couple of bigger Lego Sets, including the recent 1.5 wide modular building Natural History Museum, the A-Frame cabin which is just incredibly fun despite including my most hated lego piece of all time (A really big spider), and The Great Wave art piece which looks really good on my wall and has some interesting piece utilizeation, like all-white birds for some of the foam effects to emulate the famous painting. All of these models have criticism among the wider audience but I had fun building them and they are very good sets.

That being said, some of the recent sets they have showed off just have me flabbergasted when put next to their prices. The Deku Tree in particular is a great illustration of that. It is set at 300 USD MSRP, which is the same as The Natural History Museum despite having 1500 fewer pieces, or only about 62% of the piece count. I understand that Nintendo wants a cut as well, but the price is exorbitant at 12 cents per piece. Even compared to a large set with another License attached, e.g. The Daily Bugle (3789 pieces for 350 USD) which is 25% per piece cheaper at ~9 cents per piece, and that thing includes 25 minifigures instead of what looks like 2 and a couple prints.

Another model that has me astounded is the Lunar Rover which also has an insane price for a rather boring looking Technic set.

There is a big olā€™ expensive Zelda set they should make and its Majoraā€™s Mask Clock Town clocktower town square.