Laptops in the year 20XX

Anker makes good replacements sometimes, as well. I was sad when they discontinued the model that fit my MBP.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but if anyone is interested Microsoft is offering various models of the Surface Pro for $200 off this weekend:

My company tried distributing Surface Pros to their sales reps. From what I understand, management dumped these things in a hot second.

1 Like

All the sales reps in my company just received Dell Latitude two in one tablet/laptops and Bluetooth barcode scanners to replace decade old Motorola commercial PDA/scanners. They’re handy little machines and makes my job a lot easier with less paper to carry because all the documentation we used to have to carry around is available on our company network. Best of all they are completely unlocked with full admin privileges and we’re allowed to use them for whatever we like outside of work so long as it’s not illegal or physically destructive. I’m planning on using it for tabletop reference. My only concerns are that these are a much more fragile and a bigger target for theft than the old brick PDAs. Shall have to be careful.

Remember when we told you to never trust Lenovo again because of that malware that one time? Remember when some people dismissed this recommendation and was willing to forgive Lenovo for making one mistake?

I am still the world champion at my favorite game, “I told you so.”

I’m just waiting for a league where the champion isn’t coincidentally also the only judge and ruling authority of the game.

2 Likes

This is the wrong thread for this but proving Scott wrong is timeless

7 minutes of Scott losing “I told you so”

2 Likes

One mistake? I recall them doing it quite a few more times since then.
Also, people forgave them? I don’t recall that happening, although I’d be surprised if they did.

Ugh. That’s a mood. I love certain elements of the physical design of my SP4, but the bugs are obnoxious and the lack of dedicated, consistent, well-designed tablet interface makes me use it primarily as an ultralight, on a desk with external mouse and KB.

Next time, iPad all the way. (Added bonus: I can run impulse resonance filters on my electric violin easily with iOS)

1 Like

One of the things (of many, of course) that concerns me is that Lenovo owns the corporate-mobile-computing field. ThinkPads are the laptop in most of Corporate America. If I were to have a backdoored personal Lenovo laptop, that sure ain’t great, but if multimillion-dollar corporations with tens of thousands of employees are using backdoored machines…?

(Also, Lenovo laptops have such nice keyboards and I am mad that I can’t/won’t buy them.)

<tin foil hat>Well, Lenovo is a Chinese company, and I wouldn’t be above the Chinese government having them do some sort of corporate espionage…</tin foil hat>

1 Like

I’ve been told that, while not like a scary dystopia or anything like that. In China, the government exerts a higher degree of control over companies in the country than our governments in the west do.

1 Like

I have a 9 year old laptop that has been connected to the TV, but now its performance is just too poor - extremely long time to boot up or launch a web browser, fans spinning constantly, hiccups and chop even streaming video.

It was originally windows 7, upgraded to 10. Original(!) spinning disk. Pentium i3.

What to do with this? Give it an SSD? Install Linux? Just get a new HTPC? It’s perfectly fine, except from the intolerably bad performance.

Something like this might be the best way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y7JPJeYjtc

1 Like

I’ve got a similar old laptop. I was thinking about putting Kali Linux on it and using it as a hacking box.

Have a brand new laptop. Within a day someone sat on it.

Now I have a brand new bent laptop with a cracked screen.

Anyone feel like they would do a better repair job than ASUS? If I can find the proper screen I’d be tempted to try. But Im debating sending it in. Thinking maybe if I sent it in I’ll just get a refurb.

If you trust a local phone repair shop, many do laptop repairs as well.

If you just got it, you may be able to get a new one thanks to purchase protection from your credit card.

I always forget about purchase protection and all my credit cards have it.

I’ll have to see if the account used has any such feature