Laptops in the year 20XX

On iOS to find the MAC address you go to Settings->General->About and there it is.

On Windows you have to open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all

Seems like we got a case of blaming the user interface for sucking when PEBKAC. Also see: players blaming the game when they lose.

2 Likes

I wasn’t the one using the UI, I was asking for the information. I’m not too familiar with the OS so wasn’t of much assistance.
It’s closer to a case of BTPTHUAGTTNNUTRT. Also see: blaming the player that hyped up a game that they never understood the rules to.

I decided to do a proper review of my MacBook Pro using my MacBook Pro. I spent longer on this project than I first planned, and at points it’s painfully overly “clever”, but I had a lot of fun with it! I think you’ll like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Tj8BY5AeA

When it comes to the power brick I have gotten junked bricks, clipped and re-soldered the cable with some added reinforcement. Saved myself many dollars.

But I appreciate where you’re coming from: My MBP is a 2009. It’s still kicking, but due to the weight, the fact that it needs a new battery, and that I’m working in an entirely different industry now, I don’t use it as much as I could.

Every time I fixed and reinforced the cable, it would just break a bit further along. :confused:

Yeah, for all the smart design on the brick proper and the magsafe, that wasn’t extended to the cables.

I’m curious, how did you get along with the keyboard. One of the biggest complaints that I’ve heard about from people is that they don’t like the new style of keyboard. It seems that people either hate it or they don’t care. I haven’t hear of anyone actually liking the new switches that they used.

I really like the feel of the new keyboard. Except, as I said in the review, the new shape of the arrow keys. It’s really weird to always have to look to check my finger is in the right spot.

Good to know. My laptop is a 2015 Macbook Pro so if it is like my last laptop I expect to get close to ten years out of it, but all the complaints about the keyboard being uncomfortable to type on had me curious.

@lukeburrage From your experience are the keys really not that squishy ? Or do you just get used to the shallow keys ?

Really, the new keyboard is great. I have no problem with the feel of the keys or how they press down. It’s louder than my old laptop keyboard though!

Add HP to the list of companies you can’t trust.

Yeah, I saw this. We use HPs at work. Thankfully I reinstall the os before anyone uses it. Sadly I just use the discs that came in the box not a fresh, purchased from Microsoft out of the box windows, so nothing gets done for this.

You can just download a Windows ISO from Microsoft: Download Windows 10

Do they need me to have a license key and all that jazz? I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Just re-use your existing key?

In the past there were separate OEM Windows keys and retail Windows keys. When you bought a Dell, you wouldn’t be able to use the key on the sticker unless you were using the install media that came with the Dell. Not sure how things work now.

Nowadays I buy all my Windows keys on Amazon. This is the best because it is hard to lose the keys. You can just login to Amazon to find them again. I still keep them on paper to be safe, of course.

But that’s a huge pain in the ass. (probably, I’ve not tried but if I have to manually enter anything…) When I use the upgrade discs it’s just set it and forget it until it’s done. That said keyloggers are no joke so I’ll be bringing this up to our ops team.

The battery in my dad’s laptop died and I’m looking for a new one on Amazon.

Do any particular specs need to match from the old one?

Yes, you need to get the exact right battery for that laptop model or it wont work. Also beware of bootlegs, especially on Amazon. I recommend doing the work to make sure you get the official battery.

1 Like