Job Searching

My company now has an immediate open for a QA person who knows Selenium, if interested get in touch with me for more details (job is in Delaware by the University of Delaware).

So I made two resume’s today, one that’s original and expresses who I am, and one that expresses soul-sucking corporation. I think I have to go with the soul-sucking corporate one, but let me know.

[links to personal info redacted by Pegu]

I sent the boring one to the boring company, and put the good one on twitter for the memes.

2 Likes

Care to link to said Tweet so we may boost it?

1 Like

It appears my company may getting into the fucking over people territory shortly. So if anyone knows of QA opening around the Philly/Baltimore/NYC metro area let me know.

I dont know if we have a QA opening of any kind, if one of the openings does fit you and you apply let me know and I can also personally refer you to our HR as well.

https://careers.sig.com

Is anyone aware of a good career counseling place where I can talk to a person (online or IRL)? I am at an interesting crossroads right now and feel like consulting someone about what direction I should take in the future.

I’m not searching for job, and instead applying for a grant/funding for an artistic project, but today I completed and submitted my first resume since 2001. It’s been that long since I’ve applied for a job!

2020 is just weird.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking around and I’ve discovered that Developer Advocate is a job that I think I might want to try instead of software engineer.

The idea is that you have a company that has some part of its platform that faces external developers. Usually an API. The company really wants developers who are not their employees to build products on top of that platform. The developer advocate’s job is to go between the company and those external developers.

This involves a few things. First, basically becoming an expert on it. Then do educational work like writing documentation, tutorials, build demos, make demo videos, speak at conferences and such. Do some community work handling requests and questions. Do promotional work trying to convince people to use it. And then also be the go-between voice expressing the desire of the users to the desires of the internal team actually building the application, and vice versa.

This definitely sounds like it would be more engaging and exciting than just writing software. There’s just some hurdles. I have no direct experience in that job specifically, though I have all the prerequisite skills in spades. I have to make sure this job pays enough to maintain my NYC life. Not that many companies actually need this position, so I have less positions to choose from compared to the huge piles of software engineer postings. And those choices are still further limited by geography and my moral standards.

We’ll see how it goes, but I’m leaning more towards trying to go down that path.

4 Likes

Does your day job have a public API? Make your boss put you on advocacy duty for 2-4 weeks.

Old adage, if you have 80% of the qualifications then you qualify for the position.

2 Likes

We do not. We’re not that kind of place. Only the SaaS companies really have that kind of position open

Since cracking the door open for the recruiters for the past month, I’ve developed a question system for determining if a new job opportunity is worth pursuing. It’s really not anything new. It’s just a formal rubric to represent the decision making process I was already using. Having it materialized as a set of questions to ask myself just makes it a lot easier to decide quickly if an opportunity is worth pursuing.

Sharing because it might be useful to someone else. Just ask yourself these questions when a new job opportunity appears. If something gets a lot of positive answers, try to get that job. Otherwise, ignore and move on.

1. Do I consider the business this company is doing to be morally acceptable (within the already immoral confines of capitalism)?
  2. Is the business already successful and stable, and/or do I strongly believe it has a good chance of becoming so?
  3. Do I want the business to succeed, and/or do I believe the world will be better in some way if it does succeed?
  4. Is the work they want me to do something I am very good at or at least capable of providing? Will I be able to make a meaningful contribution?
  5. Is the work they want me to do something I am OK doing for that many hours of my life? Will it be at least somewhat enjoyable? Will it involve risks I’m not willing to take?
  6. Will my life overall be improved in some significant and noticeable way if I switch to this job from my current job?

Of course there are more questions that could come up later during the interview process such as “Now that I’ve met the people at this company, do I want to work with them?” But that’s a “do I accept this job offer” kind of question. I’m just talking here about “Do I even bother applying for this job?” questions.

3 Likes

I got an offer, and I negotiated harder than ever.

On the phone today I asked for:

1. Let me work 4 days a week.
  2. Increase the offer by 10% and let me work 4 days a week half the year.
  3. Increase the offer by 20%.

They didn’t outright say no! They are going to discuss it with the CEO and we’ll have an answer Monday. Not going to go back and forth further than that.

4 Likes

What’s the job?

Same thing as what I do, but for a different company.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Forum Job Board