Job Searching

I might need to start job searching soon. I’ve asked for my job as a redcoat back but it’s not clear if the position is still available. The only other job that company would have for me I wouldn’t be well suited for until next summer. I don’t know what I’m even qualified to do.

Tell me the place offline and I can tell you if they’re the good guys, the bad guys, or something in the middle.

I won’t work there regardless.

I feel like you want a job somewhere that is not in NYC :-p

2 Likes

Aren’t pretty much all the high frequency trading businesses the bad guys?

2 Likes

HFT is a broad and muddy term outside the industry. It really depends on what they’re actually doing in detail. Many times it gets conflated with “high speed trading” or “algorithmic trading” which can be very different things.

I guess it may come down to the purpose behind the HFT (or “high speed trading” or “algorithmic trading”) company as to how “evil” they are.

If they do it to optimize pension funds and similar investments that benefit mostly normal folks, then they probably aren’t so bad.

If they do it to optimize hedge funds for the uber wealthy, then they can go fuck themselves.

There probably are other examples out there, but those are the two I can most readily come up with.

Well, I went from a long stretch with no work in my field to two job offers I really like in a matter of a few days.

2 Likes

Are you a technical writer and willing to work in DE? If so let me know.

Now that I’ve been at my job a year+, Recruiters won’t keep their phone calls off me. It’d be nice, if I didn’t really like my job and really not trust any job that has to have a recruiter call me 4 times a day to try to sell.

Does anyone in NYC know of a good place looking for an experienced software developer? I know a guy who is looking for something new.

(I am that guy)

1 Like

If anyone’s looking for a job in Chicago in hardware test engineering (preferably an EE background or similar, 0-5 years or so experience) my team is hiring. Downtown location, chill work environment, pay and benefits are fine. PM me if you want to talk details about the position or the team.

There are 1000000 software jobs in NYC. Every recruiter will pester you forever.

No doubt. I just figure that asking for any recommendations comes prior to wading through the muck.

Recommendation: Pick where you want to work. You can probably just go work there.

Throwing this out cause IIRC there are some RPG/Game Writers amongst us.

https://rowanrookanddecard.com/spire-call-for-writers/

Well, if you’re in or don’t mind moving to the Boston area, my company is hiring experienced Linux C/C++/Python developers right now.

1 Like

I’m looking for an experienced C++ engineer as well…

Similarly, we always have a need for support guys in a Asterisk VOIP shop.

Oh god. I haven’t heard anything about Asterisk in years. At one time one of the former owners at my prior job had his own home brewed asterisk setup, but after he left they moved everything onto Broadworks/Broadsoft or something.