It's Handegg Season

I mean. I don’t know handegg, but unless the packers just won the superb owl then yeah there’s still evil teams.

1 Like

The only team to be owned by fans instead of billionaires is far far away from being the evil team, relatively speaking.

Unless

FIFTEEN CONJUNCTIONS

Uhh, the implication being they’re the only non evil team. Jokes are less good when you explain them.

Oooh. Now I get it.

The kickoff change is great. They need to bring it in for the regular season. I like that the kicking team can just choose touchback as well. No more touchdown-review-commercial-PAT-commercial-touchback-commercial.

False start change - what? Seems weird and unnecessary.

That’s my quarterback :cry:

1 Like

Eli OC theory picking up steam!

That’s some galaxy brain right there.

The XFL is pretty wild.

Romo got paid. $17 million a year.

$5 million more than any coach.

He’s worth every penny. Only commentator worth listening to.

1 Like

Now he needs to leverage this into making them fire Nantz and bring back Gus Johnson to form the ᴜʟᴛɪᴍᴀᴛᴇ ᴀɴɴᴏᴜɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴅᴜᴏ :microphone: :robot:

1 Like

I wish he was on Fox, because they tend to have the Seahawks games, but when Tony has the Seahawks, I get happy. He educates about real actual plays and we need more of that.

Looks like Tom Brady is going to the Buccaneers. What a wild turn.

I get the feeling a lot of people believe that the responsibility for the Patriot’s success is something like 60% Bill, 40% Tom. I’m personally more along the lines of 80/20 or more. I think Tom is going to stink up the joint anywhere he goes, and not just because he’s old. I think if he left the Patriots and played elsewhere even at his peak, he would have stunk it up. He’s not a freakish athlete or a football genius. Just a hard worker who was very very well coached.

Now, that’s not something to sneeze at. Not anyone can do what he did, and he deserves credit for that. But it’s clear to me that if someone like a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning had the coach and organization he had, they would have been even more dominant. I give over/under at least 2 more rings.

Of course, we can’t easily prove this. No way to back in time to Brady’s youth to find out. However, we’ve seen other complete garbage QB’s play in New England and kick ass. Matt Cassel anyone? I think the only way now is for Bill to keep coaching long enough to have another dynasty with another QB, or even several other QBs. That will make it pretty apparent that Tom’s Brady was largely not responsible for his own success.

There is one thing, however, about Brady. In a salary cap league with a shitty union, he was always willing to get paid less in order to win. A lot of credit for that goes to Gisele. She probably made more money than her husband. That allowed him to not care about being underpaid and prioritize winning above money. The other QBs couldn’t do that and had to get the maximum deal they could during free agency, and who could blame them? That’s what they should be doing. Of course, that hurt their success because their team couldn’t surround them with as many other great players.

Anyway, if handegg actually continues, and he does sign with Tampa, that is going to be some exciting biz. Every game with New England or Tampa is going to be very very interesting.

If Rovell is to be believed, the relative salaries aren’t close, though a quarter billion is nothing to sneeze at:

1 Like

There’s no handegg, but there is a draft going on. Check this out. It’s a really great visualization showing how accurate ESPN’s draft predictions ended up being in rounds 1 and 2. Thread of at least 3 tweets.

Newton signed with New England for one year, and the guaranteed portion of his salary is very low.

This brings up another big problem relating to labor and the NFL specifically. In say, baseball, there are a lot of teams, a lot of games, and a strong union. Even the best teams that spend the most on players can’t even come close to guarantee making the playoffs or winning. It’s impossible for a MLB team to tell a player “Take a lower salary to play for us, and you’ll win a championship.”

Only the NFL can have this because so many of the franchises are a complete garbage fire. If Miami makes an offer to a player, they have to make a good offer, or they’ll go elsewhere. Who the hell wants to play in Miami? A team that has its shit together can offer less and get more. A salary cap no longer guarantees a semblance of competitive parity because the price for any given player is LESS for a better team!

Thus, the NFL salary cap only serves it’s true purpose of protecting the owner’s wallets, and not its stated purpose of maintaining competitive parity.

How to fix it? I immediately thought of one idea that is definitely not perfect. Let’s say a player gets offers from several teams. If they choose a lower offer to go to a better team, the player counts against the cap of their chosen team equal to the amount of the highest offer they received. If Miami offers 10, and you go to New England for 5, then New England’s cap gets hit for 10.