I'm Saddened... (Board Games)

In my ongoing quest to procrastinate painting my own stuff, a friend of mine asked me to paint his Vul-Kar, the Volcano God from the new Fireball Island game.

This was a lot of fun to paint and frankly came out better than I was expecting.

5 Likes

I like the fiery lines in the back.

2 Likes

Thanks! Those were a last-minute addition that I decided to add. I honestly wasn’t sure I could pull them off well, so I was hesitant to add them. They turned out pretty well.

1 Like

Kinda wish I had “blow five grand on battletech” money. I’ll probably settle for like… whatever gets me a dire wolf mini.

Fireball Island is a game that I was like, this is such a kid game, but it does actually have legit skill with some strategic movement and planning and the dexterity flicks of fireballs around the island. I had a ton of fun when I played it at Pax unplugged, its just hard to justify the outlay for what would be a once-in-awhile stunt game.

1 Like

Somewhere up in my parents’ attic, I have the original version of this game. Even back then, it was more gimmick than fun. The new version is basically Hasbro nostalgia that’s been blinged out to wazoo through Kickstarter. It’s fun to play occasionally, but I’m glad I didn’t buy it myself. Vul-Kar was a lot of fun to paint though.

I don’t recommend playing with the “Hangry” cards. Given how the game goes card that go “You lose your turn” sucks all of the fun out of the game.

I honestly don’t know anything about BattleTech, but some of those models look very Macross/Robotech-y.

This one mech in particular looks like an exact copy of a Zentradi commander mech:

Battletech Macross

I remember something about BattleTech having to redesign a whole run of mechs because they’d stolen the designs from Macross wholesale. And yeah, I remember having the Robotech toy of that one as a kid.

1 Like
1 Like

Unfortunately, my office firewall prevents me from reading that article, but I’ll check it out tonight when I get home. Thanks for the link!

I think they were not initially stolen so much as licensed? And someone else had a different part of the license related to the anime? And also they then they made a (classic) 80’s/90’s mistake and sold different parts of their IP to different companies? Like the company that has the current license for the video game doesn’t have the license for miniatures doesn’t have the license for board games, etc.

1 Like

Ah, that makes /15 characters of sense

Short version: Battletech got the license from a model company in the 80’s that didn’t have the rights to license them. Because of a split between two companies in Japan, HG lost the right of standing for the old Macross models. Also Battletech re-imagined the designs to be more in keeping with their “house style”

What’s interesting about the Marauder in question, is that in Battletech it’s a shitty design using the base rules, but it’s that way because of the art.

1 Like
2 Likes

That art looks way worse. I wonder if they will reduce the racism a bit. Just make the colonist discs not brown.

that’s always the hardest part about introducing people to Puerto Rico, because they always ask, every. damned. time.

1 Like

The only color I can think of that they could be is green. If the red’s are the nobles, then the greens are the “colonists”.

That’s the European art for the “deluxe edition” that comes with both expansions from 2014. I assume Rio Grande is just republishing that version.

What happened to the IN SPACE! edition?