I'm Saddened... (Board Games)

Congratulations on finally coming to the party over five years after the game was originally released. Maybe five years from now, you can finally learn that Netrunner died.

Wait for the plot twist, folks…

These two statements directly contradict each other. You seem to fail to grasp the fact that the things you read from the Internet and Twitter come from other people, so in fact, someone else is telling you which board games to play.

Maybe you need some eye drops…

1 Like

Scott’s the only one saying he goes by the box.

I was very clear. I read the rules on bgg. That’s 95% accurate. I’m not drinking the Scott Box brew.

4 Likes

The real way to do it is to give yourself just enough brain damage so that everything you play seems great.

1 Like

Still not fully tidy, but things got more organized with these shelves. Two people with an active interest in different games living in one space = 300+ boxes after a few years. And that’s with active upkeep and regular culling. I just killed 20 games yesterday.

4 Likes

That’s one big limiting factor on me these days. I don’t have the space to own a game long enough to play it for review purposes. Hence the appeal of reviewcon and PAX :wink:

1 Like

Since games almost never get played in my apartment, I now only buy games that I will take to a gaming event and play there. Even then, it has to be a game nobody else owns or will bring. Even a game I like a lot, like Between two Castles, I have no reason to own.

This is also why the card games are kind of attractive like a Netrunner or a Keyforge. Every player owns and brings their own stuff.

1 Like

I’m starting up regular game nights after the heavy con season is over. Separate from the Burning Wheel nights.

1 Like

Definitely… if there’s a game I enjoy but 1) I only ever play it with one group of people, and 2) they already have a copy, then it’s probably gone. There was actually a lot of turnover this year because I’m just more interested in economic and political games recently.

I mostly play those 18xx games with a specific group (and there are multiple copies of 1830 etc in that group) but I actually bring them out at cons and such.

1 Like

If only we lived in some sort of future with matter printers and abundant energy, we could simply print any game we wanted to play on-demand and then recycle it afterwards.

Between conventions and holidays, I’ve pretty much given up trying to organize a game night between mid-November and early January. After New Years though, things calm down enough that I can start hosting and going to regular game nights with my friends.

Yeah, also https://amzn.to/2UDKcob and a bunch of other sci-fi universes.

1 Like

Yeah but, that comes with having to learn media glyphs, before I can use it. I’m still a child in my head… so yeah bring it on.

If you want to instantly summon a game to play with friends, while not having it take up a lot of apartment space, I recommend video games.

See, this is what TTS is all about.

That and cursing about accidentally dropping a card and having it fall through the planet.

1 Like

I’m not at “that level” with board games, but with RPGs I think I’ve got like 28 years of experience at this point so I do know what I want. I feel weird watching a lot of reviews because the reviewers and even the product seems pretty amateur hour a lot of the time.

Some of the comments in this thread offer some different ways to play keyforge.

Keyforge is aight. Now that we played a real game, it’s pretty quick. YMMV depending on the decks.

We did see a potential situation where getting ahead on amber can turn into an early insurmountable challenge, but we’ll see how it plays out over time.

OOh, I just picked up a bunch of decks as gifts for my friends and I.

I have three initial thoughts on Keyforge, but I have to play it a bunch more before I can say any of these things definitively. There are just my first impressions.

I think some decks are blatantly stronger than others, and the chain bidding is essential to have any kind of fair game when there is a power imbalance.

Although there are many decisions to make, it still seems like playing the game is mostly an autopilot situation. You choose a house each turn, which is only occasionally a difficult decision. Once you choose a house, it is not hard to figure out the strongest possible play with that house. You just make the best play you can with the cards you have drawn. Repeat until game is over.

Even if decks are relatively even, luck of the draw seems to be even more important in Keyforge than in other games. Especially since the mulligan is so limited. If you draw your early game cards early and your late game cards late, you are in business. Drawing late game cards early will force you to either lose a turn calling a bad house just to discard them or have a really slow start and weak draw if you try to hold onto them for later.