Identify Yourself - Post Here First

My Name is Justin. I live in one of the boring neighborhoods of NYC.

I like literature, history, tabletop gaming, and conventions. I’m well-versed in American History and Lit. I own multiple copies of Monopoly, but I bring small games like Fluxx with me to conventions. I try to go to lots of events, and you can always find me at Anime NYC, ConnectiCon, DerpyCon, Eternal Con, and New York Comic Con.

I met Apreche and Rym through ConnectiCon. I listen to the GN podcast.

I plan to return to ConnectiCon as a panelist next year.

2 Likes

how’s Connecticon been doing? I haven’t been in the last few years.

how’s Connecticon been doing? I haven’t been in the last few years.

Well things have been ok, myself and @Neito are the heads of the panel department with the goal to improve and not let anything else get screwed up. The schedule is live to view (did not agree with) and we are paying panelists (this is ok, really interested to see how this is going to go down) to bring interesting subjects to the event.

The one thing I do see getting push back on is the lack of ANY 18+ content, but I am not going to let someone show pron in a room for an hour and give them a free badge for it. So things are pretty good on that front, if you are local feel free to come by and say hi.

thanks for the update! Unfortunately I have conflicting plans this time since it’s been off my radar but I’ll definitely try to convince my group to come along next year.

Greetings all! My name is Jonathan. I grew up in northeastern Connecticut, and currently live just outside of Dallas.

I am an avid science fiction and fantasy reader and amateur photographer. I work as a systems engineer for a large data backup and business continuity company. I frequently go on long rants about social responsibility, ownership, and ethics in my industry.

I was introduced to Geeknights via @Alaric while we were in school together.

2 Likes

Hey man, good to have you! I pronounced all the T’s in Connecticut until I was 20-something, and there’s some photography threads somewhere around here, if you search for them, looking forward to seeing your stuff if you want to post it!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome! I all my worthwhile stuff is at https://slowsnap.photo

2 Likes

All still true as of the year of our lord 2019, except it’s co-ed now. I was never in it (graduated RIT 2017) but I had friends who were back in 2011-2013 and there’s always some freshman in Anime Club with stories.

I’m fascinated how a culture of a particular floor in a building can be maintained year after year, even though the people change. It makes sense for a frat or something where people will live there for 4 years, and the 3 years of veterans can pass on their culture. But a floor like Fish B2 presumably has all new freshman every single year. Unless the staff that assign people to dorms can tell who the drunken rabble are, and always assign them to the same place, I can’t think of another explanation how the same floor can always be the drunken one.

Hello all! I’m Isaiah, 25 year old software dev working in finance just outside of Philadelphia. Geeknights listener since 2014 when I encountered Rym and Scott at Anime Boston. Graduated computer science major, history minor from RIT in 2017, former RIT anime club eboard member, former director of Guests at Tora-Con (2016-2017) and current Tora-Con guests department mentor. I spend my time gaming, DMing, traveling, and sometimes working on panels for Cons. Had this account for a couple years and finally decided to start using it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It seems to me that the only holdover from year to year is the RA. Even though the population is new the RA damn well knows what the floor’s reputation is and I think that probably shapes what RAs end up placed there. And they in turn probably feel like they have a kind of social permission to let things happen because of the legacy and pass that onto the students coming in. After all, no one is more looking for an excuse to cut loose than college freshmen.

Do you happen to work at a FINTECH company that happens to be named after a certain hard to pronounce (for non-regional-natives) river? If so I work there too.

Fish B2 is unique in two very specific regards. They always (insofar as I know) designate it as an all-male floor. It’s also on a non-elevator-accessible floor. These two attributes are common year-over-year.

Unfortunately no, I work for the boat one.

1 Like

@DigitalDeckard @redbaron865 either of you going to Oaks this weekend for the gamer con?

I’m not sadly, this is rest weekend before heading to LA for Anime Expo next week.

googles Oaks,PA “Why is a a conventions center out past Audubon/Valley Forge called the Greater Philadelphia convention center?!?!”

But no I had not heard of said Con or said convention center before this. I have my housewarming party this weekend so just stuck in cleaning and partying and then cleaning again.

My name is Daniel. I’m originally from Sweden, & I live a bit all over the place.

I’m currently in the process of leaving SLC to pursuit some career and family goals. I do a lot of adventure sports, and general adventuring. Big skis, big bikes, ice axes… That kind of thing.

I’m a big fan of Euro-style board games (and other things of that flavor). I was on a video game hiatus for 10 years, but recently caved in and got a switch.

I make money by designing experiences for big companies, tech and otherwise.

2 Likes

Mom’s here. Everyone say hi to @jtvh.