How Did You Get Your Avatar?

I’ve been thinking lately that I should probably get a new avatar/profile picture and actually unify what I use on my social accounts, but I’ve been having trouble thinking of what I actually want, and I also can’t art to save a life. I guess I might just stick to Fluttershy as one of the closest fictional characters to actually being me.

So: how did you choose your current icon? Where did you get it? How long have you been using it, and do you try to use the same icon everywhere?

0 Likes

I have three avatars that I rotate completely arbitrarily.

Some form of Boo: The Ghost. Usually the cutest one available.

Some form of hockey player from Ice Hockey for NES

Some headshot of my actual head.

When I get a new one I try to put it everywhere-ish. It’s hard. I wish the whole world had adopted Gravatar, but alas.

0 Likes

I drew mine on my phone while taking a dump. I sort of traced over a cellphone pic of myself with hilariously bad hat hair at 4am.

1 Like

The “Ika” in my handle is “squid” in Japanese, so at some point i decided to use various cartoon squids. Usually it’s a blooper or something from Splatoon.

0 Likes

My parents got drunk in the back seat of a Buick Skylark and realized they couldn’t drive to the party they were going to and that’s why my face exists.

3 Likes

I’ve had this little icon since…9th grade? I like the plain look and reference it has and just stick with it.

0 Likes

My brother made this after we had a conversation about toad puns a few years ago.
toads

3 Likes

I used to use whatever was the most recent flattering picture of me when making a new profile on something. Then a bit ago there was the Power Puff Girls character creator thing, and even though I’ve never seen the show it was an exscuse to make a cute cartoon avatar. Since I go by RobotMitchell most places (my name is Mitchell and I like robots) I should probably find/commission/draw some sort of cute robot.

1 Like

This is a photo I took of myself in September 2010 after getting caught in the rain while biking around the very edge of the whole of Manhattan Island. I took my bike down into the subway, and waiting for the train I snapped the photo. It became my Facebook profile and then I made it my Gravatar image.

Due to inertia, like probably never revisiting the Gravatar website since, it remains my avatar all over the place. Including Twitter, but maybe I changed my Twitter profile image not via Gravatar and have not bothered changing it there either.

But I like the photo, mainly because it shows me thinner and younger than I am now, but not implausibly thinner and younger.

0 Likes

It’s a photo of me changing a fuel filter on our caprice. Flannel, Shepard’s cap, wrenches, and carbs. It’s like peak car hipster for me.

1 Like

I’m a microbiologist, and I work with things that can kill you.

Pretty straightforward.

4 Likes

Looked up public domain photos when joining the geeknights forum a few years ago. Saw a penguin, liked it.

Never cared for images before then but everyone here had one and I figured I would too.

0 Likes

I loved playing PC adventure games growing up, both Sierra and LucasArts. I was a HUGE Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle fan, and there’s just something absolutely ridiculous about Purple Tentacle trying to achieve world domination.

0 Likes

That is the most important part. I’m always (possibly unduly) annoyed when someone’s profile picture is clearly from more than a decade ago or otherwise radically different from their current state.

The key is an idealized version of yourself that’s plausibly linked to your current self.

0 Likes

Look at your avatar.

0 Likes

Work with things that can kill you say. Have you seen the warning label on my mix tape?

1 Like

My avatar is my face from a time I was guest character in a webcomic my friend at high school made and I colored. So it’s just cartoon me. And now that I don’t have long hair anymore which I had at a point, it’s pretty accurate.

0 Likes

My current avatar is Sucy from Little Witch Academia and I chose her because she is the best witch.

1 Like

I have a lot of avatars depending on my mood. Currently I’m Karruko from Princess Jellyfish because even tho he’s not trans he’s the gender bending media character I like the most. Previous avatars have included Quinn Morgendorfer in various forms and the All This and World War II soldier because it’s my favorite film ever.

1 Like

Right click -> Save image as…

1 Like