Houses and Home Ownership

I would have eaten it because I am a fearless and uncouth monster.

4 Likes

We kept most of it. Tossed a few partial containers of dairy and the meat we grilled last night. :confused: The rest wasn’t really temperature critical stuff, for the most part. It’ll just go bad faster if it’s not being chilled. We didn’t lose any unopened containers because I’ve been slacking on stocking up on groceries… yay!

Depending on the fence, it’s not too difficult just time consuming and monotonous. I’d recommend evaluating if you think you’ll actually finish once you start and decide from there. I’ve seen a fair amount of people stop in the middle and hire someone to finish.

DIY, if you can. It was simple enough to build it, but you may want to trick a friend or two to help you for the day. If you’re going wood, the literal most important part is to measure twice, cut once. You can also spend some amount extra to get a chain link roll if you don’t have the right tool set. Chain also has the added bonus of getting some nice ivy growth. Wood tends to be a craps shoot in that it might grow on the wrong side of the fence to face the sun.

Josh, there are a number of things you need to check. Do you already know whether the fence is yours or the neighbor’s, legally speaking? Whose property is it on? Does your municipality require a permit for a fence, or fence replacement? What are the zoning requirements for a fence, if there are any?

If you have significantly more time than money, DIY. If you have more money than time, hire someone else. If they’re relatively even, hire someone else (if they get materials at wholesale cost the price difference is probably worth it.) The biggest PITA is usually the post holes & footings, which may or may not need replacement. If the posts themselves are leaning, you probably need to put in new ones. Assuming you want a solid fence and not just a wire barrier, wooden stockade style is fairly cheap and easy to put up, but it will have to be replaced sooner than vinyl or other non-biodegradable materials. There are a lot of options for fencing and a lot of factors that go into making the choices.

3 Likes

Me and my wife have put an offer in on a house in the next neighbourhood over and they’ve just accepted it!

It’s a 3 bedroom semi-detached house with a big garden and decent sized kitchen. It has a log burner in the living room so we’ll have an actual fire to warm us in the winter. Best of all it will allow my wife to start up her own business to work as a childminder and get out of her existing dangerous job.

7 Likes

I’m attempting to buy in the Seattle area and I haven’t done much beyond select an agent and get pre approved but I’m already getting stressed out.

Random homeowner updates:

-Used -31 kWh from August to September. Super stoked! Solar panels are fucking awesome.

-Today, @Nuri designed a firewood shed, and we constructed it from salvaged lumber that we happened to have. Should hold about 1.5 full cords of wood (that’s a lot of goddamn wood).

-I took the opportunity to clean out my shed from the top down, and going forward will be keeping it way cleaner. The first step: don’t store stuff that mice love in the shed. Equipment only.

-We’re actually making good progress now on all of our various projects. My biggest project is now splitting all this damn wood. Could rent a log splitter, but I’m enjoying the exercise and the time outside. Also, I get to use my axes!

-Fucked up the lawnmower by nailing a stump - which means I am now accelerating my plans to buy a riding mower.

It’s a trip, yo.

5 Likes

I mowed the lawn yesterday for the 157th time. Fuck lawns.

4 Likes

I wonder how much it would cost to replace my entire yard with gravel.

2 Likes

My yard is 100% asphalt and concrete. It costs $1700+ per month.

My yard is Central Park. Also Prospect Park. Someone else mows it for me, and I share it with my neighbors.

1 Like

My parents replaced our small back yard with pea gravel. The entire yard. ~$200 / 100 square feet. It ain’t cheap.

Soooooo going with my 40,000 square feet of yard, that’d be $80k.

Hmmmmmmmm.

$80k to never mow again?

1 Like

For $80k I’m sure you can get a very very advanced robot lawnmower that will just take care of it.

For $80k you can also hire another human being with a riding mower who will probably be better than the robot (for now). That’s what my mom does.

2 Likes

Why even mow just let mother nature have her way. Let entropy reign. I know I would but I have stupid HOA to deal with.

1. Never live somewhere with an HOA.
  2. Even if you don’t have an HOA, the town might come after you.
  3. Even if the town doesn’t come after you, the ticks might come after you.
  4. Move to the city.

I would literally rather live in my car than live somewhere with a HOA. Everyone I know who lives with one hates it because some power tripping asshole always uses it to inflate their proverbial dick.

I always put off mowing the lawn because my brain still says that it’s a multi hour chore when in reality it’s like 20 minutes. My main incentive to keep it trimmed is to reduce the frequency of people knocking on my door trying to get me to pay them to do it.

HOAs are pretty terrible. I’m under city regulations which are basically unenforced unless you are actively causing problems for people. By contrast, one of the neighboring towns has rules that are restrictive to the point that it can be difficult to navigate because everything looks the same. Like national chain businesses are forced to change the color of their signs to beige.

We live in one solely because passing up the deal on the house we have would have been crazy in Portland, OR. Luckily my wife and I are better at politicing than the head of our HOA so we always get what we want. It just takes time.