Houses and Home Ownership

All the trains coming into the station at the same time.

1 Like

Probably once a week, I walk around and stare at everything and think to myself “it’s all mine.”

It’s a great feeling.

7 Likes

The day I moved into my new apartment I had a shower here for the first time. I almost cried. The shower was one of the best showers I’d ever had, with perfect water temperature and pressure and everything. And it was going to be my default shower from then on. That kind of realisation is pretty moving.

6 Likes

I hosed out the disgusting-ass brine tank from my water softener today.

Apparently, you’re supposed to do this annually, to keep your water fresh and clean and to keep the softener in peak condition. I learned this very recently.

I am confident that Former Owner did not learn this in the entire decade they occupied this place.

In other news, we need more bleach.

#mayberentingisok

2 Likes

If Scott and I do that thing and buy a house upstate, we’ll have all the joys of renting AND the joys of owning… -_-

1 Like

Oh, you two have a plan to buy a house upstate again?

Or is this more of a shit-talk level of idea?

4 Likes

Yeah but you have to know it needs doing to pay somebody to do it.

Also… the entire reason we stopped renting (financials aside) is that the landlords were NOT doing the stuff they were supposed to be doing. You know, like fixing leaks and abating mold and not having a house that is literally sinking into the ground and crumbling.

1 Like

Silly question, I am getting to the point in which the house is in order to host events but need things for people to sit at. Any advice on getting folding chairs/tables for entertainment purposes?

IKEA has some nice pieces.

1 Like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-Centerfold-Table-Multiple-Colors/46368979?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034454208&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=90168799488&wl4=pla-126780109968&wl5=9007243&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_multichannel&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46368979&wl13=&veh=sem

Cheap and effective.

2 Likes

Homeowner protip; try not to get too carried away when decorating around a theme.

1 Like

How does one live there without being constantly assaulted by splitting headaches? Just looking at those photos had my eyes screaming

It’s like a specific side of Tumblr spawned a house.

1 Like

Of this is a good advice. I see a lot of art I like, but don’t get it because it doesn’t “fit”. Also because I have no space left.

I love mismatching things. I believe that if I get enough mismatching things, they will match because I like them.

5 Likes

Housing win: July 17th to August 17th saw us using -25 kWh. Last year in that timeframe, we used 1525 kWh. Solar panels ftw!

Housing fail: Woke up this morning to a ~65 F fridge. Pitched all the perishable things. Luckily @Nuri is an amazing partner who said “I’ll deal with it” and found a repair person.

4 Likes

My re-finance, including cashing out some of the equity to pay off my ex with her share of it, of my house has been approved.

2 Likes

The wood fence between me and the neighbor is leaning quite a bit. It will need replacing soon. The neighbors are renting so if I hope for them to pitch in the cost I will have to get hold of the landlord. Problem is the renters are kind of assholes. Won’t even say so much as a hello and have left there garbage in my portion property of back alley. Anyhow any of you had to replace a fence before? Did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

I dunno that having your fridge die is really a house fail. Most places I’ve rented, the fridge has been pretty shitty. At least the one we have now doesn’t have any other issues, like mildew or leaky seals.

And at least I have a job where I can say, “I’m working form home tomorrow,” and people just say okay.

4 Likes

I mean, that’s fair. I’m slightly lamenting the loss of tasty food.