Houses and Home Ownership

I don’t need wood for fuel. I’ll use the corpses of my enemies.

So a greasefire.

1 Like

My enemy is not grease.

A lot of North Carolina and Virginia houses have gas lines for heat and electric for everything else, including mine. I really prefer gas ranges but there’s no way I’m going to replace ours. It’s basically a 1950’s kitchen of tomorrow appliance, here’s an ad for a nearly identical model.

I cook in cast iron so the heat source really doesn’t matter. When my house was renovated, the previous owners converted from a gas stove to an electric one. I will convert from burning things to rubbing electrons for heat. Electric water heaters are far better than they used to be, but I’m not happy about converting to electric heat. All my ducts are in the ceiling so my rooms would all warm at the top while we froze below.

Ducts in the ceiling? Is this a retrofitted duct system? Usually you only see what when ducted central AC is added to a house that used to only have baseboard heating.

The house was built in 1920, yeah it was retrofitted.

I vowed as a kid to never buy a house or apartment without original build central ducted HVAC.

You should really try to invest in some ceiling fans. Have them draw UP in the winter. If you can’t install them, then put a couple of these on the floor pointing up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R1Q0OG/ref=twister_B01MS16O5P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Have ceiling fans, and I know how to use them.

3 Likes

I own a house! I have a key and everything. The current owners are staying there until Sunday to move to their new place though. Since I’m currently on a month-to-month lease, I’m going to stay in my apartment through the end of June and slowly move my stuff (and buy new stuff!). I plan to be completely out of my current apartment by July 1st.

6 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on a 9 kW solar installation. Financing to own.

The annual payments are more than 30% less than my current power bill, and some minor efficiency improvements should make it a 100% offset. Even if it’s only a 72% offset, it’s still a savings to buy the panels.

So that’s a thing.

On the heating front: Carrier and Bryant seem to make the most viable air-source heat pumps for this climate (well, for centrally ducted models - ductless minisplits are an option but get complicated). The equipment is probably about 1/3 the cost of installing geothermal, and total cost is less than half. The Carrier Infinity/Bryant Evolution (literally the same hardware) series is almost as efficient as geothermal, and costs way less to install.

Might be a bit before I get that one, though. Lots to pay off right now.

3 Likes

I offer tentative but heartfelt congratulations!

3 Likes

I don’t know if landlords use it, but here we use HireRight for basic background checks. SSN Validation, Address history & verification, National Sex Offender Registry & National Criminal Records.

FWIW, I’ve never submitted to a background check in my life for any apartment I’ve ever rented.

So this happened today.

Now to wait for my net meter installation.

10 Likes

What happened? The solar panels?

Yes, solar panels. A 9 kW system. 24 panels on the main roofline and 8 on the chunk of roof above the addition (not clearly visible in the photo). I’ve done the math about a dozen times, and am fairly confident that will provide a 100% offset.

Going with a grid-tie, because the cost of a suitable battery array is roughly the same as the grid-tie fee over the expected life of the system (~25 years).

Don’t use credit unions. They are worse than big banks when it comes to loans. They will either screw you or be incompetent or both.

@panfriedmarmot We had 0 problem with our credit union (SEFCU). The biggest thing is a lack of consistency from place to place - each credit union is different.

@anon81580706 That is some fucking bullshit right there. It took less than 24 hours from the time we submitted the last requested item to our rate lock.

I’d be tempted to do business with another financial institution on principle. That is really really outrageous.

6 Likes

Well hopefully it will be done today and you can move on to enjoying your new home!

2 Likes