Houses and Home Ownership

Obviously discuss with your realtor, but depending on the settlement timeline a lot of it can be “plz fix” or ask for money to handle the repairs after the sale yourself. Just don’t nickel and dime easy handy-man tasks.

I had basically 2 opposite experiences with this back to back when buying my house in Jan of 2019. The first place we put a serious offer in and was accepted had some structural issues with the back deck and an addition with laundry and questionable roof quality and some electric work that needed to be re-mediated. All told estimated 20kish in repairs. Seller refused to offer more than 4k and we just walked away.

The house we actually bought despite being 30-50 years older, was in better shape, some issues that needed to be fixed within 5 years (redo pointing on masonry, regrade roof, repair some weathered wood soffit). There was small leak before we moved in that they repaired and they paid for treatment for past termite activity as required by the mortgage company but smooth sailing. The only stress was we did a 14 day close to lock it down which is incredibly fast for a non-cash offer.

Nice size! I am kind of laughing about how Gray is in for flippers and builders currently.

That’s a cute little place! Looks like the porch needs some work, probably want those windows redone. Looks really manageable though!

It is a really nice little place, the porches have settled slightly, but my bigger concern is going to be making room for a lift. Need to be able to have wheelchair users visit, and that’s probably going to beat up that side porch something awful.

Is that side porch basically an unheated mudroom? Thats what it looked like intent wise from the photos, but maybe I’m misreading the layout.

No, you’ve got a pretty good read on the layout. That’s pretty much exactly what it is.

House-buying is proceeding. Currently looking to close on the 27th.

5 Likes

Super Congrats man. Honestly The day of is both super exciting and underwhelming in all of it, but I recommend a whiskey or champagne in the house after you get the keys and just to be in it and think about your future life in the house if you have the time to do so.

1 Like

My sister temporarily moved in on my spare floor while she relocates to Philly so a lot of “whenever” projects have been accelerated to make life easier for all of us. Kind of excited though to check off a bunch of stuff on the list.

1 Like

It’s always wonderful how a deadline focuses the mind.
See: Me suddenly having a much firmer closing date and realizing that I need to finish packing up all my shit.

1 Like

Same. I’m moving in two weeks, but I’m sure the rate at which I pack up my shit will increase over time. I’m currently waiting for more boxes to arrive.

I’m going to take a second to laugh myself sick at how stupidly optimistic I was…

I finally have a closing date, at least the first sign of one, and it’s Friday of next week.

3 Likes

2 week close? :laughing:

Was this the same house and the contract just kept getting revised? or were you looking and just found a place and trying to insta-close it?

2 weeks?

This is the same house I’ve been working on buying since the end of June. I had just gotten past the underwriting section of the application in September and when I went to pick up insurance, my mortgage broker said the coverage should start the end of the month, so I assumed that was a good rough target.

I think some of it is I’m going through a NY State program, and there’s a lot of paperwork that needs to be processed that I’m not actually seeing.

1 Like

Which program? Just curious!

And YAY IMMINENT HOUSE!

Provided nothing else goes wrong.

Something else might be, “I need four business days to get a cashier’s check,” so… We’ll see how that goes. But I’m hoping to work around it.

I’m getting help from the SONYMA Down Payment assistance and Neighborhood Revitalization programs.

1 Like

Just an insanely long amount of time to be under contract on a house in my opinion. I joked about 2 week close because I did a 2 week close, but anything over 3 months just seems really drawn out.

It has been. I’m just hoping I’m looking at the end of the tunnel. And moving this weekend.

4 Likes

Juliane and I are looking at homes to buy, and 90% of this business seems like a scam. I’ll report back next year.

1 Like

Luke, you live in Germany, right? My vague memories of House hunters international eps in Germany have it as having barely any incentives for people to become home owners (tax breaks, home ownership programs, etc.) and that there is a capital gains tax if you sell the home at any point under 10 years.