Houses and Home Ownership

Dammit Scott, take your turn!

I love how as soon as he warns us he’ll be busy we all immediately start taking our turns as fast as possible :wink:

I mean I always disclaimer my home buying advise with it’s WAY easier with a person who will provided expert free handyman services to your house :-p even better if a direct family member.

The good news is that we have a firmer timetable for our contractor to work on our rennovation. The bad news is that it isn’t until November. He is really good and his quotes are a third of what others would charge, so it is worth the continued wait. I am just tired of living in chaos. A few more months won’t kill me, though.

I know the feeling, but on a smaller skale. I feel like I counted the seconds to having everything unpacked, organized, and livable when we moved into the current apartment.

There was a good month where it was chaos chaos chaos everywhere.

Been in the house a few days now. Have solidified the opinion that the previous home owners have no business owning a home.

Item 151 on today’s glitch list: The hot and cold are connected backwards to the washing machine… I mean c’mon what the hell.

I guess I shouldn’t be all that surprised. This is after all the people that at closing handed me 4 keys with 3 different cuts that they said they were for the side door. I pointed out they are different keys, but they insisted they were all to the one door (because they lost the keys to the other doors). Naturally not a single one of them worked on any door in the house. At least they managed to give me their garage door code properly. Not like I was going to keep the old locks but still, I didn’t think handing keys over was going to be rocket science.

Ah the joys of discovery in a new place.

As someone who recently stopped working with keys and locks as my job, this is super common because idiots don’t know that a) you can check codes on packaging to see that locks are keyed alike, and b) if you can’t find enough matching sets you can have the hardware store person rekey them, or do it yourself if it’s the Kwikset Smartkey type. People fuck that up all the time too though and lock up the mechanism so it has to be taken in to the hardware store again to reset with a special tool.

Are you sure you bought the home from the people who own it?

Yes of course I am sure.

They did come back and found the right key. I could also see how they failed by testing keys when the door was already unlocked so while the tumbler didn’t turn, the door knob would.

I have no idea where @James lives, but most states in the US require a Title check when you buy a house, to address that precise question. You want to make sure you’re buying a house from the person who legally owns it.

Yes, there are rare instances when Title checks aren’t done, but that’s usually well publicized ahead of time, and in those circumstances it’s caveat emptor.

Between needing more power for my workshop and wanting a proper charger for my car I need to upgrade the power to my garage. If I’m going to do anything major with my house’s wiring it probably makes sense to rip out the panels entirely because my 75 year old house has 2 fuse panels and a breaker panel.

I guess as long as I’m at it I should make sure everything is set up to handle a solar installation for whenever I decide to do that.

How do you actually do this? Ive been having an issue tripping my garage’s breaker every time I attempt to weld. It’s caused me to turn the machine down to lower voltages than I need to do it properly. I’ve been continuously unsure what to do about this issue.

I’m in North Carolina, which is kinda restrictive about having a licensed electrician do things. But you probably want a subpanel near your work area and anything as beefy as a welder should have a dedicated circuit within it. Nothing complicated really if you have the tools and common sense.

In my case I already have a subpanel for my shop, but it’s puny especially considering the car charger I want is 220V 40A. So my current rough plan is for the new panel to be a 50A 220 and three 110 circuits: tools, ventilation, lighting.

Honestly you get an electrician unless you know what you’re doing. If you fuck up wiring you burn your house down.

Yeah, that’s true. You can always rough out what you want then hire an electrician to execute it and fix your dumb design mistakes. I basically have to do it that way. You can often save money by supplying the parts yourself.

That’s weirdly common. People are really dumb (or at least profoundly inattentive of their surroundings and interactions), and often never notice.

When we were looking for houses upstate, I encountered all of the following:

• 6 bedroom house that was definitely a meth lab
  • split-level with an illegal second apartment, complete with kitchen and illegal gas line splice
  • a second story sliding glass door to nowhere
  • an 8’ drop ceiling in the entire ground floor
  • Half a dozen houses with fake ventilation louvres in the attic
  • A house that seemed fine until I discovered a 2" crack across the entire kitchen, that upon inspection of the basement was a 2" crack through the entire house and foundation
  • A second, worse meth lab
  • Mcmansion with nearly non-euclidian geometry due to poor building practices. Mismatched corners, unaligned molding, etc… It almost gave me a headache walking around
  • Coal boiler for a furnace. Coal.
  • “That stain isn’t from water damage” (spoiler: it was from water damage)
  • Knob and tube wiring
  • “There is no record of this house ever having been built”
  • Every room is piped with gas line access for some reason
  • “What’s a sump pump?”
  • Fusebox that’s clearly been bypassed
  • 220 line in the livingroom for some reason

If this is the McMansion I remember, it’s worth a fortune now. Missed opportunity.

I have one in my living room. It’s for my ultra powerful air conditioner. If it’s not near the window, then I have no fucking clue why it is there.

No, that one was solid. You didn’t see the one I’m talking about here.

Some appliances can use a 220 line for reasons, the more heavy duty the more likely they need 220.