Houses and Home Ownership

I’ve seen a few professional loggers working recently on shows like This Old House. They didn’t have giant chainsaws, they just made 2 cuts.

“Just make two cuts” means “do twice as much work.” :slight_smile:

This is particularly annoying when you’re sawing through a 22" chunk of rock maple and have been for hours. Your back tends to get angry.

It did not take them long, there seems to be a fair amount of technique to the process.

Ooooh burn!

/15 characters

You may WANT that to happen, for safety reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VSivQe760

Yeah, cutting with a bar smaller than your total cutting length is finicky work, but doable. It also involves lots of bending over and pushing for a long time (and you do a lot more pushing with a lighter and lower power saw), which murders my back when I’m at it for like 4 or so hours at a time.

That was my point, I was saying electric saws will murder you if you accident.

So, electric saws are torquey as hell, sure, but a powerful saw at full speed is as much or moreso.

The Makita UC4051A is one of the heaviest-duty electric saws on the market. At 15 amps and 120V, it clocks in at 1.8 kW/2.4 hp. That’s a lot of power in a small package.

Its chain speed is 2900 FPM. To convert that to RPM, we can crunch numbers. The pitch of that saw is 3/8", and with 7 teeth on the sprocket, we get 5.25" of chain movement per revolution (since each drive link covers its pitch twice per revolution). That means the saw is going at 6600 RPM while generating 2.4 hp, or 1.9 ft-lbs of torque.

That’s a lot of damn torque for a chainsaw.

Meanwhile, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher puts out 3.5 hp at 9000 RPM, or 2 ft-lbs of torque.

The 465 Rancher is 4.4 hp at 9600 RPM, or 2.4 ft-lbs of torque.

So, if those chaps can stop full-speed rancher saws, they can probably stop the most powerful electric saws available.

No, electric saws will not murder you deader than gas saws.

EDIT: My bad, 6 teeth on the Makita sprocket, meaning 7733 RPM and 2.4 hp, or 1.6 ft-lbs.

2 Likes

Ah well fair enough, I did not do my own research and was repeating something I had heard. I appreciate you making me correct in the future.

1 Like

I mean I didn’t care about any of this until I had 2.5 acres of woods with giant maple trees tossing limbs into the backyard, so doing your own research is pointless for most people.

Fun facts, if you see that up-and-out style of pipe on a car, they’re called “Hater Pipes.”

I thought those were zoomies.

Difference it the collector. Zoomies are straight(well, “Straight”, but you know what I mean) with no collector, Hater pipes have a collector.

The one different one I’ve seen is that the Roadkill guys call the hood-pipe coming right off the turbo on the Rotsun a “Hater pipe”, but I’ve only ever heard that called a Screamer pipe.

1 Like

Guys, I’m very excited about this new fridge I just ordered.

2 Likes

Ooooooooh shiny. Old one died, or just decided to get something nice?

The old one smelled like burning/electrical fire for a few minutes and now we don’t trust it. Hasn’t done it since, but house fire is high on my list of “don’t roll those fucking dice.”

6 Likes

But can it play Doom?

Four doors! It’s like you’ve leveled up in Adulthood!

Hey guys, I want to learn how to actually construct a building to code. Does anyone have a good resource for learning US building code?

I know some contractors - I can ask around.

Today’s exercise in bourgeois excess: I hired day laborers to work my land while I sit inside in luxury watching them toil.

I mean, the other option is doing a half-ass job of hanging my own gutters, so really everyone wins this way. Also, these new gutters look bangin’.

2 Likes