Houses and Home Ownership

I’ve been thinking about accomplishing this in a very old-school way, by replacing my shitty-ass wood furnace with a high-efficiency woodstove. Since my basement is basically one open room that corresponds to 3/4 of the house, it seems plausible.

4 Likes

Cory and I have been house hunting, found a place we really like on Monday, made an offer Tuesday, and today it was accepted!!

It’s good timing too, as my landlord is kicking us out June 30th so he can move his 22 year old stepson out of his house and into ours… that’s another story.

https://youtu.be/BYK36PCugJE?t=43s

6 Likes

Being a Landlord can SUUUUUCCCCKKKK

4 Likes

I got the call today: the cylinder on my chainsaw is fucked.

Which means.

NEW CHAINSAW SHOPPING.

Homeownership: it’s like that.

Also, congrats @eggs!

1 Like

I highly recommend this model. I have a lot of experience with it. It has never failed to start. Always gets the job done. Cuts through everything. Never jams. Never even needs to refuel.

Chainsaw

9 Likes

Store pickup only, but it’s a Hell of a deal.

2 Likes

It’s pretty loud. You like metal though, right? Though I think not even doom music could drown that thing out.

I was shocked at how loud an actual chainsaw is. No media correctly conveys this to its audience.

I’m thinking about the Echo CS-590. Good price, lots of power (a 60 cc engine making ~3.8 horses, which is a nice upgrade from the Husqy 350 I’m replacing), and the most cost-effective saw I can find that can drive a 24" bar. Not that I need 24" of bar all the time, but it’s good to have that capacity for some of the large-diameter things I’ll have to tackle, and might come in handy if I ever go crazy and buy a chainsaw mill.

But Stihl has some really great efficiency improvements, and Husqvarna is really reliable. So I dunno, there’s a lot to consider.

I would also suggest having a look at an electric chain saw. They are way quieter, and much lighter weight.

2 Likes

How many metal bands are named “Electric Chainsaw”?

2 Likes

I have a like half size electric chainsaw. And 2 batteries for it. Every time I use it I seem to get my job done RIGHT as my battery runs out. It’s also got the disadvantage that as the battery drains the saw itself loses power making it succumb to resistance more often as the job wears on.

Other than that it’s a treat.

I’m still personally a fan of plugged in electric things over battery. The torque of 120VAC is nuts.

2 Likes

How about a handheld cutting laser. Well, that would have to be pretty powerful, so maybe mount it to a glove. A power glove.

If you really want more power, there’s really only one way to go.

4 Likes

Lol at the exhaust pipes.

I wish more electric tools gave full specs rather than me having to aproximate motor power based on battery capacity and run times.

I don’t know that there are many tools doing this, but I see no reason why you couldn’t use high discharge batteries to make a battery powered tool that has more power than a plugin one (at least in 110V 15A socket world.)

My guess is that it’s simply a matter of weight. If you want your electric chainsaw to be as nimble as the V8 one in the video above, then sure. If you actually want to be able to carry it…

I guess something could be arranged where the batteries are in a large block that just sits on the ground and then there is a power cord going to the actual saw. Or maybe a backpack you wear like Ghostbusters.

This is actually what they do for high powered flashes in photo studios. Giant power supply/battery/controller that sits on the floor. Connect all the lights to it. Lights are now just bulbs on strings.

One thing to consider with electric. They have consistent torque within their rpm range. Meaning they’re just as strong at slower speeds and will eat through protection. This:

will not happen.

Actually no, they have more torque down low. Power is defined as Torque * RPM, and what electric motors have is more consistent power. On the other hand, there’s a lot less momentum in the system as an electric motor doesn’t have a crankshaft with heavy counterweights.

1 Like

There are no electric saws on the market (at least, generally available) that suit all of my needs. I need to be able to fell and buck hardwoods (oak, maple, and cherry) up to ~24" in diameter, and I need it to not take all day. That’s pretty much exclusively the purview of a gas saw, and generally something in the 55+ cc range.

My old saw was ~3.2 hp and could drive an 18" bar. I’m looking at ~3.8 - 4.3 hp to drive a 24" bar.

We do have a battery-operated saw for limbing purposes.

The other problem with the plug-in electric is that I have 3.5 acres of land, and what if I need to take care of something 400’ from the nearest outlet?