General Convention News

Would you pay $175 for this online convention?

What could they possibly give you in an online con that would make them cost more than Anime Boston in IRL?

1 Like

SON OF A BIIIITCH!!!

The right call, of course, just… fuck.

Oh wow, I didn’t know it wasn’t already canceled!

force majeure clauses are usually 90 days or or so.

E3 returns after being a non-presence last year.

A publisher that caters to Military SF nerds has managed to get their invitation as Worldcon Guest of Honor rescinded. A measure so drastic that even the drama-addicts of SF fandom have avoided doing so for near 80 years.

I wouldn’t go to GenCon in normal times, but this is still news I guess.

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.sacbee.com/community/roseville-placer/article250285295.html

NO NO NO

And now, the inverse, “Sure, everything’s okay, we can even take a break for this convention!”

2021 will be rough, as many conventions held during the summer are pushed into September and that month has become very crowded. Origins and Gen Con will be held 2 weeks apart, in cities all of three hours apart, by car.

Further proof that weebs are the worst fandom.

I think PAX Unplugged in December is likely to be the first con we’re going to consider unless something changes radically and quickly.

1 Like

SIGBOVIK is happening (virtually) today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tom7/status/1377621956569235458

If you haven’t heard of it before,

SIGBOVIK is a yearly conference celebrating the inestimable research work of Harry Quag Bovik. Since his research has been so variegated, the conference is traditionally a forum for discussion on many subjects, including: Inept Expert Systems, Deep Space Navigation, Science, Perplexity Theory, Thaughmaturgic Circle, Self-Adjusting Computation, Denotational Semantics of Pidgin and Creole, Comparative Genomics, State Dominance, Blog Shapes, Agnostic Active Learning, Natural Intelligence, Artificial Stupidity, Elbow Macaroni, Rasterized Love Triangles, Synergistic Hyperparadigmatism, Computational Archaeolinguistics, Modal Code for Mobile Types, Operational Semantics of Chevy Tahoes, Hyper Driven Devices, and any other topic approved by the conference organizers. The Program Committee seeks submissions on the entire range of topics.

An acquaintance of mine is a prolific artist and has mentioned how fucked up September has become for Exhibitors.

If ever there was a convention where you would get me to pay full attention to for being an online convention. This one is it

I could not find a better spot for this, but this is one of the biggest pet peeves of mine when it comes to conventions.

If you do not have a consistent shirt for people who you are staffing your convention then
a) Former staff people who have the older shirt can “fake” being on staff during the event
b) Attendees are not going to know who to go to when trying to find help
c) Makes you feel like you are an unorganized mess

Bonus: MAGWest is this week. For those interested here is the schedule.

4 Likes

10000% correct on shirts.