GeekNights Tuesday - Game Controllers

Most will treat the arrows as the directional input and won’t send left/right or up/down at the same time. Some have a code you enter to change them to dance pad mode.

PS4’s touchpad isn’t super useful and skews what would be Select and Start to the somewhat awkward locations of Share and Options. It otherwise seemed quite nice, and bluetooth worked perfectly out of the box on linux (always a surprise).

http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Maybe the last controller you’ll ever need?

I already have too many controllers. I’m tempted to test one of these out. If it’s any good, I might buy 1 or 3 more and then sell every other controller I’ve got. Probably have to keep GameCube controllers, though.

I already bought the all controller.

This one isn’t out yet? It’s still pre-order only?

They had an issue with the molds in China so they went there to fix it. According to their news they are assembling them now and shipping soon.

Let me know how it is, then I’ll think about it.

Will do 15 characters.

I can confirm that the SN30 Pro+ is fantastic. My one complaint is that it can’t wake the Switch, but I’m pretty sure that’s a Nintendo limitation. Bloodstained feels even more like Symphony now! It also works perfectly with Linux.

Yep. No third party controllers can wake a sleeping Switch. If it was possible, the SN30 would do it.

https://youtu.be/Sb0-I8FkUWU

Word of warning on the 8bit-do controllers, unless they changed the design, the pad under the buttons is prone to tearing if you end up having to smash a button.

See me, with a broken “B” button after too much jump spamming in metroidvanias.

Sounds like a problem. Have you contacted 8bitdo about warranty/repairs?

Yep. Ship it back to China and they’ll repair it. I work for a company that does regular shipping and it’s almost the cost of another controller to get it there.

Mind you, when I looked into the problem I had, saw that I was far from the only one and if I fought, I might have been able to get them to ship me a replacement pad.

If I didn’t already have an arcade fighting stick, that gets used rarely, I would get this.

https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/

It’s a bit shame they don’t tell which stick and which buttons they use. Even if they are easy to replace, if it comes with garbage stuff, it’s a bit of a hassle.

I think they made the ones it comes with.

I’m still quite happy with the SN30 Pro+. In our recent, frenetic plays of Hades, the rubbery top of the left thumbstick finally fell apart. We’ve had it for 3.5 years or so?

Repair was straightforward—the hard part is getting it open—and 8BitDo was happy to sell me replacement parts. The only wrinkle was that they warned replacement parts will take 2-4 weeks to ship—three weeks in my case.

1 Like

Then I noticed a button was sticking, and my thought was “I know how to open this, I can fix it!” Alas, taking it apart was fine, but I was a little too rough on the silicon button pad. Now to wait another three weeks for parts.

I figured I might as well replace the other silicon pad. If all goes well, I’ll have enough leftover parts for many years of repairs.

8BitDo also stopped selling the Pro, but now there’s a Pro 2.

Replacement silicone pads showed up, and the SN30 Pro+ is back to snappy perfection.

The interesting wrinkle this time around was that the original tracking number got flagged by the USPS as being shipped with counterfeit postage! 8BitDo claims it was it was a “system error”, but they eventually provided a second tracking number which worked. It still took 4 weeks to show up, however.

Now I have replacement thumb sticks and spare silicone pads for both D-pad and YXBA, so I should be all set for years to come.

1 Like