GeekNights Monday - The WPA2 Vulnerability

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider how WPA is Effed in the A with the KRACK attack. In the news, there is ANOTHER crypto flaw that also broke today affecting Estonian cryptographic IDs. In actual science news, the world of astronomy is forever changed, entering a new era of discovery thanks to gravitational waves.

We'll be at PAX Unplugged, and also GaymerX East!

We released both our PAX West 2017 panel - The Rage of the Quitter - and our first new episode of Judge Anime By Its Cover on youtube! Notice it's two channels: Rym and Scott.

Things of the Day

Episode Links

1 Like

JUST after we finished recording, GaymerX accepted our panel! We’ll be there doing “Writing Game Rules” and more importantly, we’ll be leaving time for questions!

1 Like

Tuesday? /15characters

I must have tapped down when I was throwing the post together. :wink:

Sorry Scott, RIT’s non-“for technologists” statistics courses are calculus-based.

Somewhere between '01-'04 I took a required course I believe was titled “Probability and Statistics”. It was definitely in the math department. It was not “for technologists.” It contained no calculus that I recall.

Ok, so it looks like there are separate stats tracks under MATH and STAT, with only the former using calc. My bad.

I don’t even know what calculus has to do with statistics, and I don’t want to.

1 Like

I remember wrecking the fuck out of a class called Data Analysis 1 & 2. Not sure why I needed it for CS but they asked me to take it and it single-handedly raised my gpa out of losing monies range during my year of being a terrible student.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYtvjijATa4

This makes me glad all my IOT stuff is homemade. The firmware I’m using should be patched soon, and it’ll take less than an hour to reflash everything.

My understanding is that part of the problem is that IEEE charges a lot of money for documentation on their standards, making it a little difficult to casually research flaws.

As catastrophic wifi crypto goes, this one isn’t so bad. Patchable from either the access point or the client. Just don’t buy garbage and keep your hardware up-to-date.

I jumped ship from Math to CS after three years. BUT there are two courses that probably changed my life. One is 100-level stats and probability, which I tutored for 2-3 years.The other is 200-level combinatorics. I loved that class.

It’s probably why I play board games so much, I want to continue applying those specific branches of math every week.

My router still has no update :frowning:
If it never gets one, what is best router?

Excellent editing on Something Weird. You cut out the part I’m less enthusiastic about and left the juicy center.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

1 Like

https://kb.netgear.com/000049498/Security-Advisory-for-WPA-2-Vulnerabilities-PSV-2017-2826-PSV-2017-2836-PSV-2017-2837

Netgear seems to suggest that we are safe as long as our routers aren’t acting as clients, and are just acting as hosts. Then it’s just up to us to have our other WAP2 client devices updated and secure. For me that’s just Nintendo devices, Apple devices, and whatever people bring to my apartment.

1 Like

Once one’s router gets a patch, are you pretty much good to go, or is anything using wifi that isn’t patched a liability?

The latter. /15characters

That was specifically the what and why. A fine pruning of dehumanization so that I can truly face to bloodshed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWZSAxy9o8