GeekNights Monday - The WPA2 Vulnerability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn6rhZoxhmc

Does anyone use one of the open firmwares, e.g. DD-WRT? Thoughts about them?

My router is doingā€¦ fine. But the latest official firmware is a few years old, and itā€™s definitely not getting any more updates from the manufacturer.

Iā€™m also interested in answering this question.

I know some on this forum are running their own routers:

I used it back in the day in beacon when we had an actual WRT54G. Then I switched to a WNDR3700 that had all the features I wanted out of the box. No need to replace the firmware. Now I have the router provided by Verizon. It has more features than you would expect, and all the ones you need. The problem is that the web UI is awful, and itā€™s very difficult to get a complex configuration. Because it is such a pain, it was easier to just use it on its own than to get my WNDR3700 to work behind it and create a second level of NAT.

TL;DR: Most routers nowadays are so good you donā€™t need to replace the firmware to get the features you want. Youā€™re most likely going to need firmware replacements if you have an old busted router. Also, if you make your own router out of a computer and some antennas and network cards youā€™re going to need software.

If itā€™s buy a new router or experiment with an open-source firmware replacement, I know which one Iā€™d go with.

Security updates are important.

I use DD-WRT on a WRT-1900AC and itā€™s great.

1 Like