GeekNights Monday - Computer Mice

You just reminded me that this exists:

https://amzn.to/2XyNZHz

1 Like

Having use a mmo-mouse with 12 side buttons for a day now, Iā€™m really shocked how well it works. Sure I still need more time to fully get used to it, itā€™s a new mouse of different size and shape and feel than my previous and grid of 12-tiny buttons is quite different than 2 bigish ones my previous had on itā€™s side. But Iā€™m already capable of finding right button through feel easily. Especially the first two rows where my thumb naturally rests are really snappy to use, but while the last two rows take bit more movement they are not pain ether.

1 Like

So you know how every PC game has completely different sensitivity settings? Apparently there are tools to help you get the exact same sensitivity settings from game to game.

https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/

I never even thought about it, but of course thereā€™s a solution. Really, there needs to be some kind of push for industry standard. I think it should come from the mouse companies like Logitech/Razor/Steelseries.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting idea.

That said in a game like Overwatch some people dial up/down the sensitivity for different characters or even manually in play (my mouse allows 4 settings and I have keys bound to swap them though I donā€™t pay attention to it).

Sure, but the idea is to be able to install a brand new game and set your sensitivity to match what you are used to. Since all games use a completely different sensitivity scale/number system you need a translator.

I want this more than I want most things on Earth.

The computer mouse I have had since 2018 was a Razer Deathadder Elite. It is still working well and is perfectly comfortable. However, there are rubbery grips on the side. Those grips are held onto the mouse with some kind of adhesive. Theyā€™ve gotten dirty and difficult to clean over the past four years. The one on the right side of the mouse peeled off.

I felt bad wastefully buying a new mouse when this one still works and could definitely be repaired with some new adhesive. Then I realized I can just donate or sell it to alleviate that guilt. Itā€™s not a waste if itā€™s being used. Hey, if you want this mouse, let me know!

I go to research new mice. There were really just a few things I felt could be improved over what I had, so I looked for mice that met those requirements.

• No software. Iā€™m tired of Logtech/Razer mouse software. Just unnecessary and annoying.
  • I want wireless again. Wireless latency wonā€™t matter for anything I do. Desk will be much cleaner. The wire getting in the way is admittedly an extremely rare occurrence, but even once is more than nonce.
  • I want a stiffer scroll wheel. Gotta really feel the clicks. Iā€™m not sure if the Razer never had good clicks, or if it wore out over time. Either way, it doesnā€™t have good clicks now.
  • No rubbery bits that can peel off.
  • Mouse doesnā€™t look like a pile of razor blades (looking at you Logitech).

I did some research and I ordered an Xtrfy M4 wireless. Here is my review.

No software is as great as expected. There is a clever system for configuring everything using just the buttons on the mouse. However, itā€™s impossible to do it without the instructions. There is an official YouTube video.

It comes with a cable that is USB-A on the computer end and USB-C on the mouse end. This is for charging the mouse or using it in wired mode. The USB-C end really holds firmly into the mouse. Harder than in any other USB-C port Iā€™ve ever touched. No worries about yanking it out while gaming.

For wireless it comes with a tiny USB-A dongle. The kind you can put into the side of a laptop and forget about. They also give a small USB-C to A adapter that the dongle can go into. The idea being that you put the dongle onto the cable, and then take it off the cable when itā€™s time to charge.The adapter has a little grippy foam on one side so it wonā€™t slide off your desk.

The wireless is perfect and takes zero configuration. I just plugged the dongle into a computer, turned the mouse on, and it started working immediately as if it was wired. I donā€™t know what will happen if there is more than one Xtrfy wireless mouse in range. As far as performance, I canā€™t tell any difference between wired and wireless.

The plastic the mouse is made of is acceptable, but could be better. I would prefer a less smooth texture.

The mouse comes with a tiny magnetic screwdriver. The screwdriver is used for two things.

First, you can swap the hump of the mouse for an included alternate hump with a different shape. The shape of the default hump Iā€™d say is a 9/10 on comfort. I could find a better one, but itā€™s acceptable. The alternate hump is for someone who has a very different hand or mouse grip than I do. Just awful. 0/10. Itā€™s cool that it can be changed, though. Maybe someone can 3D print one thatā€™s perfect for them.

Second usage of the screwdriver is to adjust the positioning of the weights in the mouse from front to back. I had an old logitech mouse that had a weight cartridge that let you add or remove weights to make the mouse heavier or lighter overall. That was a completely useless gimmick. Adjusting the weight positioning is also a gimmick. I canā€™t tell any difference whatsoever between all forward and all backward.

The holes in the mouse are a thing. In the long term Iā€™m very worried they will collect filth and be a problem. In the short term they feel really nice. Ventilation is a little bit like a cold pillow effect on the hand. They also provide texture and grippiness since the type of plastic they used does not.

The buttons have the tiniest bit of extra play. I probably wouldnā€™t have noticed if YouTube reviewers hadnā€™t said anything. They probably only noticed because they use so many mice. Might be annoying or even a deal breaker for people who have fingers very far forward on the mouse.

The side buttons are really meh. They have extra play just like the main buttons. They are also in a really awful position to try to hit with my thumb, especially the forward one. Good thing I never remember my mouse has side buttons and never use them in the first place.

Plenty of RGB options including the all-important ā€œoffā€ option. The RGB is nice for indicating battery health. Also for finding the black mouse when itā€™s dark and the lights are out. Bad for aesthetics with the xtrfy logo on the RGB part. The light shines through the mouse wheel, though, which is nice.

The mouse wheel does feel much better in the clicky department. I hope it doesnā€™t wear off over time. Glad to have very discrete mouse wheel clicks again. Pressing the mouse wheel inward as a button also feels better than on any mouse Iā€™ve had.

The web site says the maximum cpi is 16000, but the manual says 19000. I believe the 19000 in the manual. I had the deathadder set to 16000, but had windows at the lowest mouse speed. That was perfect. With the x4 at the maximum cpi it was too fast even with windows at the lowest mouse speed. I went to one cpi setting lower than that and increased the windows mouse speed a little to compensate. Perfect again.

The button you use to configure the mouse becomes a pgdn when you arenā€™t messing with the mouse, which is nice to bind to whatever in games.

The mouse comes with two branded keycaps. Who is putting those on their mechanical keyboard?

The mouse comes with replacement adhesive feet for the bottom of the mouse. Very nice!

Overall, not a perfect mouse, but it will be just fine for the next several years. An improvement over what I had, so no regrets. But when this mouse eventually dies will I get the same one? Nah. Will probably keep searching for something even better.

1 Like