GeekNights Monday - Computer Mice

Why so many buttons Scott?

1 Like

For half a sec I wanted to call out casual homophobia forgetting a moment that iMacs were literally fruity. Also didnā€™t those iMacs have garbage mice that were like, yo-yo shaped and made your hand cramp super bad?

Yes, they were officially fruit colored iMacs.
The awful mouse was the puck mouse.

Yuyuke had one of thsoe for the first few years I knew him. I wanna say it was one of the first widely available optical mice?

The puck mouse I had had a ball that was half white half black so you could see it rolling through the translucent top. Maybe there was an optical one later?

Yeah once they added the context menu, but that wasnā€™t until 97.

Daaammmmmmmnnnn

The only thing I miss from OS 8.1 (other than the rather silly ā€œnot quite brushed metalā€ look) is Popup Folders. I donā€™t think anyone else ever used that feature, but I miss it.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that being a thing. Back when Apple had ideas about efficiently using screen space instead of using multiple desktops for everything.

Most ball mice were actually technically optical. The optics were just inside. Truly mechanical mice largely disappeared in the 80s.

sd

I know I used to have a mechanical mouse. I remember being fascinated by how you could take the ball out and spin the cylinders to get the mouse to move in one dimension.

I also remember just how groady those cylinders used to get. The ball was always fine but the rods would get that grime around the point of contact with the ball.

1 Like

I remember having to periodically open up my mouse and clean out all the lint and other stuff on the rollers.

I was a just a kid, but I remember once a friend threatened to steal my mouse ball. This was the first time I realized there was a ball in the mouse. Then I opened it up and spun the rollers and all of a sudden it just clicked. I knew how mouses worked. (well this was the mid 90s, optical mouses existed) Also I realized how dastardly someone who stole a mouse ball would be.

He and I didnā€™t remain close.

Iā€™ve always been a bit vary of those dozens of buttons mmo mice monsters, but after recently seeing people in multiple places swearing upon them I decided to go ahead and buy one. The new expansion for Final Fantasy XIV will force me to re learn lot of my muscle memory so might as well try it out on completely new control scheme.

Just do what I do and play the whack-a-mole class, then you never have to worry about silly things like a ā€œrealā€ rotation.

I already do play warriror for the easy rotations and overall low button count. Iā€™m not getting the mouse because I think I need it, but because Iā€™m somewhat curious and there are rare times when my left hand goes in knot with me trying to move, think and press something like alt+1 at the same time.

For all of us Olds (Im only 32) talking in this thread about ball mice cleaning procedures.

4 Likes

I never went that far. Iā€™d take the ball out, clean the rollers with my fingernail, and just roll the ball in my hand or in a paper towel.

Also, random trivia: the ball isnā€™t rubber. It is metal, with a rubber coating. Cut it open and itā€™s a metal ball.

1 Like

I would just open the bottom and use my fingernail to scrape the crud off the rollers. The ball was never in need of cleaning.

vlogbrothers is pronounced like blog. Also you know who that is. Itā€™s Hank Green, from SciShow/Crash Course. Itā€™s funny to me that you keep using his unrelated cool stuff as TOTD.

Mario Paint still gets play in my house, so I am still well versed in the ball mice cleaning procedures.

1 Like