Games You are Currently Playing

I’m slowly working through DQXI. It hits my nostalgia hard.

Finally Beat witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Of course since the main plot revolves around a almost father daughter relationship between the two leads. The ending action is almost secondary to the emotional aspects of the end, where the difference between someone surviving or dying depends how you treated them through the course of the game. It’s not a perfect game, but it’s probably one of the best RPG’s in the last 10 years. Looking forward to the netflix show, and maybe checking out the novels it was based on.

1 Like

I’m not quite done with the dlc for that game but I agree it’s excellent.

One thing that’s not excellent is any fan of the franchise’s insistence you have to play the first two before playing the third. Have any of them seen how terrible the first looks in the modern era? It’s like 2004 era single player world of warcraft. There is no faster way to put me off than insisting I play this ancient single player mmo.

They don’t look very good, but it’s the story, not the gameplay, that’s important. Reading a summary would suffice. Fans do enjoy gatekeeping, though.

1 Like

Admittedly I didn’t get far into it, but I had no trouble picking up 3 without playing 1 or 2. The Witcher is not the most original story arch.

Last PAX South I saw “The Messenger” at a booth, and immediately knew I would buy it. It’s basically a Ninja Gaiden remake/parody, only modernized. I started playing it yesterday, and it is terrific.

The controls are great. The music is bumping. I’m sure it’s going to eventually be very difficult, but it curves up smoothly. So far it has committed absolutely zero game design crimes. Very polished. The stories that the shopkeeper tells are really great as well.

If you like an NES platforming game, get this ASAP. Full price, who cares.

1 Like

I haven’t wanted to give Devolver money ever since they published Mother Russia Bleeds.

What’s the story there?

Transphobia and general grossness in that game.

1 Like

Thanks, that is good info I was not aware of.

I started playing Darkest Dungeon way late to the party but I’m really enjoying it. I’m playing on easy which is still really tough, I doubt I’ll play on the normal or hard difficulties. It reminds me a lot of XCOMwhich I also enjoyed (on easy) and I’m sure I’m not the first to make that comparison. Playing games with rogue-like gameplay on easy seems to be my speed for that kind of game.

I broke my streak of never buying into an early access game to jump on Slay the Spire. Having a good time with it so far. Played two times with each character and I currently like the Silent the best, feels like I can just do more with her each turn than the others. I’ve been able to get to the second act each time so far, but have yet to beat the second boss. Based on initial impressions, this is the most fun I’ve had with a rogue-like in a long while.

I want it on the Switch.

I want it on the iPad.

2 Likes

Making my way through Dragon Quest XI, is more Dragon Quest and that is an excellent thing if you have infinite time to kill.

1 Like

Apparently Star Control: Origins came out and after playing a few hours today, it’s remarkably like Star Control 2 in game play and writing so far. The alien races are fun and it looks like super melee is pretty much as it was but with control support so we can play on a couch as well.

Launch Fighters!

I cannot in good conscience support Star Control Origins as it’s made by Stardock while they are suing the original creators of the franchise.

6 Likes

Not only that, but the founder, Brad Wardell is a shitty gamergater

5 Likes

Ok, this is good info. I knew the original creators were making a real game and the company that was suing them was making a different one. Now I know which is which.

1 Like