Fail of Your Day

Quitting smoking is a bitch. Even with gum supplemented by occasional snuff.

1 Like

Context: I work at a multinational medical software development corp.

Last month, my leadership at work called an All-Hands meeting to discuss questions my colleagues and I have. They sourced questions from us and had us vote on the topics we wanted covered. Top voted comments were all about burnout and the growing extra/weekend hours. In the meeting, they didn’t even mention the topics and brushed off the in-person questions about it.

Yesterday, they announced the second such meeting and changed it so we submitted questions in a way that we can’t easily discuss our concerns and the meeting is entirely digital. Never before have I seen a group of people more afraid to face their own employees.

We so need a union…

1 Like

Holy fucking christ. Julian Assage has been given a journalism award by the European United Left–Nordic Green Left part of the European Parliament. That’s not terribly shocking by itself, until you consider the award - the GUE/NGL Award for Journalists, Whistleblowers & Defenders of the Right to Information - was created in honor of Daphne Caruana Galizia.

That’s right: They gave him an award created in honor of a journalist who he slandered by saying she(among others) was being paid off by the US government to attack Putin, who was murdered because of her involvement with a series of leaks that Assange smeared as being fakes, made up by the OCCRP and George Soros.

Just do it. Find an existing related union to join and call them.

Yup. Working on it. First step is to make sure there’s enough people interested so we don’t just get shut down and fired.

I wonder if you can file a wrongful termination suit if that happens. Personally, I would love to get fired and then file a lawsuit, assuming I win. That means getting paid, but not working.

So, it is complicated, right? It is illegal to fire people for trying to unionize, but if my office was super pro-labor this conversation may not even be happening.

Kinda catches my interest because I was not a fan of kolossal during the eclipse Kickstarter.

I hope you have enough savings to last 1-2 years of unemployment while your case works it’s way through the system. And even if you do, there’s no guarantee that you’ll even win at the end of it. No one is ever fired because they want to form a union. Management can come up with numerous other reasons to fire someone.

1 Like

Definitely reach out to a related union and specifically bring those concerns up. Many have ways to help keep the anonymity of the workers involved till the actual process gets started. Once it gets too far for management to just fire people, expect them to blatantly lie and offer improvements that seem great but are genuinely worse than what you’ll get once unionized.

1 Like

Getting sick from quitting smoking isn’t fair. I’m doing right by my body and it’s punishing me for it.

I don’t know if this helps, but you can think of it as fair because it’s punishing you for smoking in the first place.

My body already punished me for smoking in the first place when i got pneumonia in October from starting.

That’s just how bad smoking is. It punishes you several times in several ways.

It got me off alcohol so I regret nothing.

If the solution to solving one addiction is to switch to a different hopefully less harmful one, try MMORPGs.

There is actual evidence to suggest that using apps that provide distractions and such can help. I assume it’s something like when you got the urge, you play a game on your phone instead.

Scott, you’re not an addict. Don’t try to tell me how to deal with my addictions.

You’re right, I’m sorry. Just trying to be helpful. Good luck.

2 Likes

So they did a change up in Final Fantasy XIV (the MMO) where server clusters were rearranged and they implemented a feature to allow you to visit other servers. My server is an RP server that was full and population locked until this morning, and as a result had a thriving player economy based largely on the demand for player crafted vanity gear and housing items. With the merging of economies and a flood of money from other servers to buy up relatively low priced gear, our entire economy has gone haywire in a matter of hours. Prices skyrocketed, and the market boards are picked clean.

Are you on Eromung too?