Depression and Such

He basically cigar puffs the vape, vs. long drag into lungs, but yes what vaping can affect health-wise remains to be seen.

Worst case, mouth cancer.

Best case, no health problems, just look like a douche who vapes.

As long as you’re respectful of others - ie, not doing it in the office, in people’s cars or houses without asking, so on so forth, I don’t really have much to say about it. If that’s how he wants to get down, more power to him. Whatever gets you through the day, y’know?

Actually I meant it as a “have you considered” kind of way regarding getting to have the ritual of smoking but it not be smoking.

Oh yeah, that’s fair enough. And yeah, I suppose you could. I wouldn’t encourage taking it up for that purpose, but it’s still better than taking up smoking. It’s pretty common these days to see a smoking area where one or more people are vaping(like, just regular Mouth-to-lung, not cloudchaser wierdos trying to imitate a smoke grenade) rather than smoking, and nobody bats an eye.

Sick of the cavalier attitude my doctors have about my smoking. It’s like they think I do this for fun rather than to cover up a severe psychological disability.

The big difference between conventional addiction and my situation with nicotine is that conventional addiction dictates that one must admit they have lost control over their life because of their use. Smoking, in fact, gives me control over my own mind. Thus, while the conventional addict has to seek help to regain control, I have to find some way to live with a little less of it.

1 Like

If all that is true, why is it worthwhile to quit smoking? If it’s just about the other health concerns, maybe you can find less unhealthy ways of achieving those ends?

There have been a lot of stories lately about inexplicable lung damage associated with vaping.

Be wary.

This one has bothered me a bit. Like if you take out all the specialized liquid and just vape some tap water. How is that any different on your lungs than taking a shower?

Hell if you’re like me and really enjoy your showers and have a leave in conditioner your showers sometimes last like 30 minutes, that’s gotta be comparable to average vape time in a given day.

Do I get lung cancer too?

My assumption is that, given the different specific heats, it’d be like vaping boiling steam.

The issue is you aren’t pulling a concentrated steam of propylene glycol and glycerin into your body. You may be in a steamy hot shower, but the majority of the air entering your lungs is air with some water vapor and trace amounts of any soap/shampoo chemicals.

So fair enough, but even still. I feel like breathing boiling steam would have more obvious problems than possible lung cancer, I’m thinking burns on your soft internal tissues. Clearly that doesn’t happen.

I dunno I’m not a scientist, physicist, biologist, oncologist or researcher of any kind. If it causes cancer, fine I’ll just accept it but it’s gotta be tougher to prove that breathing steam of a certain physical property relating to specific heat causes cancer. I mean there’s certainly people who breath heat close to what a vape produces when that’s the point of the affair. A sauna comes to mind.

It just seems unlikely but plausible.

Would that glycol and glycerine be there if I was just vaping tap water? I’ve never vaped at all so I have no idea how this all works.

Again, we just don’t know what the long term effects of inhaling propylene glycol and glycerin in the quantities of vaping are (they are perfectly fine chemicals to interact with normally). Compounding the issue is vape liquids can contain all sorts of other additives for flavor that have not been thoroughly tested.

There is a good section here explaining vape liquid as well as the general article explaining the mechanics of vaping. It also touches on the possible health risks/concerns.

Well I’ve now read summary and the part where they talk about the liquids usually used as ‘vape juice’ and while I’m seeing mostly they’re the things you mentioned, glycol and glycerine, there’s an INCREDIBLE amount of variance in what you use.

The article even mentions using regular water, sorta:

E-liquid containing glycerin and water made without propylene glycol are also sold.[29]

My question stands, if that’s all you’re doing, how can there be a cancer risk where there is none afaik in the shower?

Did you even read the rest of that?

Your shower water vapor doesn’t have glycerine in it. Comparing this to a shower is patently ridiculous.

Christ, let me make this abundantly clear:

If you only vape tap water* how is that different that a shower?

*meaning no other junk in it, no glycerine, or propeline or nicotine or whatever junk there is

You need something like glycerine or propylene glycol to effectively thicken the smoke to approximate the thickness of the actual smoke from cigarettes/cigars. Nobody is vaping straight water.